Switching to EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vonsmack

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an incoming family practice intern, and for many reasons I have recently had a change of heart in wanting to switch to EM. I plan on reentering the match next year but I had a few questions..

I don't see how I can obtain any real great LORs from ER faculty. My home program doesn't have an ER residency nor does my FM residency. Also I won't be able to do any away rotations now that I have graduated med school. I could probably score an LOR from ER docs at my residency. Will this really hurt me or will LORs from my residency program and local ER docs suffice?

I understand that I would lose 50% of my funding during my last year since I started a categorical 3-year residency. Is this going to be a major obstacle or will programs be ok with this?

Thanks for any help or advice. My program is aware of my intentions and they are supportive.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have your first year re-termed as a prelim year instead of a categorical year, you won't lose any funding.

Even though you've graduated med school, are you sure you won't have an elective available that you can use at another hospital? I was able to do that when I was prelim-IM.

Otherwise, I don't have more to offer right now.

I am an incoming family practice intern, and for many reasons I have recently had a change of heart in wanting to switch to EM. I plan on reentering the match next year but I had a few questions..

I don't see how I can obtain any real great LORs from ER faculty. My home program doesn't have an ER residency nor does my FM residency. Also I won't be able to do any away rotations now that I have graduated med school. I could probably score an LOR from ER docs at my residency. Will this really hurt me or will LORs from my residency program and local ER docs suffice?

I understand that I would lose 50% of my funding during my last year since I started a categorical 3-year residency. Is this going to be a major obstacle or will programs be ok with this?

Thanks for any help or advice. My program is aware of my intentions and they are supportive.

I just matched after 1 year of FM. It can be done but you will have to explain yourself at every interview as to why you did not initially apply to EM. Have at least 1 EM Attending/Faculty letter and excellent letter from your current PD as to why you will make an excellent EP. Good luck. You can PM me if needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Funding should not be an issue. You will be fully funded as a fellow your last year in a 3 year EM program. I believe whatever initial residency someone gets into is funded the categorical amount + 1 year of fellowship. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Funding should not be an issue. You will be fully funded as a fellow your last year in a 3 year EM program. I believe whatever initial residency someone gets into is funded the categorical amount + 1 year of fellowship. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong. You get the funding for the categorical amount but not for fellowship. That said, the funding decreases from 100% to 70-80% (overall) so it's not that big of a deal, especially for 1 year.

You are wrong. You get the funding for the categorical amount but not for fellowship. That said, the funding decreases from 100% to 70-80% (overall) so it's not that big of a deal, especially for 1 year.

So there you go. Are you going to be worth the 20-30% funding cut in your final year of EM? From my experience PD's would rather take fresh MS4's. Your strategy for applying begins now in researching types of programs you will have a shot at.