Synthesis Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RungeKutta4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad research primarily consists of chemical synthesis, both organic and inorganic. Being said, it is much easier to discuss my research with structures on hand. Would it be inappropriate/laughable/overkill to bring a printout of the structures/schemes relevant to my research to interviews? I haven't attended my first interview yet, so I really don't know what to expect as far as how much depth I'll need to discuss my projects. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My undergrad research primarily consists of chemical synthesis, both organic and inorganic. Being said, it is much easier to discuss my research with structures on hand. Would it be inappropriate/laughable/overkill to bring a printout of the structures/schemes relevant to my research to interviews? I haven't attended my first interview yet, so I really don't know what to expect as far as how much depth I'll need to discuss my projects. Thanks!

My undergraduate research is also pretty much 100% synthesis. I have now been on several MD/PhD interviews and the way that I've approached it is to focus on the goals and implications of the research, discuss the questions that my specific structure will answer, and my reasoning behind my synthesis. I think I've had 2 interviewers (out of probably 40+) who have understood organic chemistry well enough that they were curious as to the actual structure, purification schemes etc. and the interviews were pretty conversational so I could sketch out structures during the conversation. Basically, they're going to be wanting to know that you understand your research well, but also that you understand it in the context of the "bigger picture." I don't think a print out of structures are necessary, but I guess it couldn't hurt to have them on hand.