Syringes in retail pharmacy

Started by tompharm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tompharm

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering how the correct size syringe is determined in a retail pharmacy. Does the patient request a certain size, is it prescribed, or is a size recommended by the pharmacist.
 
Well you can start by asking them how many units of insulin they are injecting or how many mL of a particular product they are using. Depending on the answer will get you started. Then if its insulin, I just wind up giving everyone 30G or 31G syringes and like 5/16" needles unless they ask for something else or something else is written on the Rx. If its another product, I will look it up or ask them where they are injecting or call the doctor's office to get an answer. For example, not everyone is getting that thick 22G syringe for Novarel, and ouch that must hurt.

For insulin syringes, 0.3 mL syringes measure up to 30 units, 0.5 mL up to 50 units, and 1mL up to 100 units of insulin.
 
Last edited:
For insulin syringes, 0.3 mL syringes measure up to 30 units, 0.5 mL up to 50 units, and 1mL up to 100 units of insulin.

I was taught, and typically recommend that you prefer to not use the full syringe if possible. I usually recommend 0.3 for up to 20 units, 0.5 for up to 40 units, and 1 for 40+ units
 
Yea I was taught if you need to measure 1 mL of a liquid, you don't use a 1 mL syringe, but instead you use the next size up, a 3 mL syringe.

But for insulins I don't care. I give 0.3 up to 30 units, 0.5 up to 50 units, and 1mL for up to 100 units.