Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

T in Essay

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by woolie, Oct 6, 2002.

1. woolie

woolie Intermountain West

Has anyone ever heard of a T in the essay? I caved and checked my scores; pretty average in the numbers, not as bad as I had thought but I seem to have written myself a "T" worth of essay.

:love:

I thought I would do worse overall but it's not too awful. If I can just focus everything on the re-take in April and boost those numbers it might turn out ok. Overall, I guess the numbers were about what I was getting on my practice exams, so no suprises there. I wonder if Adcoms will be happy with my essay score, at least ;)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    what do you mean by average? if you have an average score for getting into med school, i wouldn't bother with retaking the mcats. i'd save my energy for something more fun!

4. woolie

Well, average means 8 V 8 PS 9B, so maybe ok for my local state schools (I have a high post-bacc gpa), and of course my T in essay :clap: . I think as a non-science major and only two months of full-time study this is a decent score, but I would like to work in a more calculated and preparative way and try and really boost the numbers to double digits. I got over 10, scores in some of the practice tests so I think for me it's just lots of review and more examples. Heck, I only had baby Bio and the MCAT really covers Biochem/Molecular stuff. So I feel like it's filling in holes of knowledge and lots of practice exams.

Still, I feel relieved it's over for now and I know what I need to be doing for the next few months ... ;)

5. BananaSplit

BananaSplit Senior Member

This graduate student that I work with took the MCAT as an undergrad and got a T on the writing...so it is possible and people have done it.

6. Classof07

Classof07 Member

I got a 32T on my August 2001 MCAT (11V/11P/10B). I was very surprised since I had never gotten that great a score on my practice tests (via Princeton Review) but unfortunately, no one really cares. I would have been happier with an O and a point higher in any of the other quote unquote real sections.
    But I guess it happens. I noticed that I wrote a little bit longer during the actual exam, but I was pretty much sticking to the (Princeton Review) formulaic approach. The essay topics, though, were rather weak and I pulled in some examples which I bet most people didn't/couldn't think of. My advice for the writing sample: listen to NPR and/or the Lehr News Hour to keep abreast of anything interesting going on around the world.
    Or, of course, you could do what my friend did: just make people and quotes up.

7. Mike59

Mike59 Sweatshop FP in Ontario

I'm in the same boat. Made a 8V, 9B, 10PS, and an S on the writing sample. Despite getting >30 on some of my practice tests, I will not take the test again, as I had the best possible test day (finished all sections, was relaxed, test felt straightforward and did not lack any factual knowledge) .

Let's hope that some adcoms will notice our writing scores. Odds are, your personal statement stands out from the crowd (I'm positive mine does) due to the writing style. Good luck!

8. woolie

I went back and did the math on my actual amount of study time, and even tho I thought: "I am working all the time and it's all summer, etc." the truth is, I studied ~10 hours a day, including Princeton Review classes at night for a max. 45 days this summer. (Not including the full-day practice tests.)

So, when I took away the emotional stuff and and my mental fictions, and did the clinical post-mortem, I think my 25 is pretty good for that little amount of studying under such a compressed schedule. It would be unrealistic for me to expect > 30 not being a Bio/Chem etc major, and this short shedule.

I have really been thinking about ways to study differently and how to approach the test differently, and have bought alot of different books/Ekrackers and am sitting in on a BioChem class.

I am willing to go back and try it again - differently! ;)

9. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    I actually didn't study much for my MCAT, so I wonder how much it matters in regards to the time you spend studying. I have a friend who studied a lot more than me and really rocked the exam. In the end...there is no consensus. :confused:

10. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

I got a T on MCAT from August 2002.

But apparently most medical schools dont care anyway, so its no big deal.

11. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    I don't think any one item on one's application makes that much difference.