TA or more bio classes? how important are LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocchipcookie

yummy yummy doodlepie
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
these questions are related. i can take several upper-level bio classes next semester and finish up my major requirements, or i can finish up my major requirements and TA anatomy and physiology. TAing is 5 credits and i'm capped at 18, so i would only be able to take 4 other classes.

here are both schedules.

withOUT TA:
histology - 4 credits (lec and lab)
nutrition, immunology, and infectious diseases - 2 credits
nutrition seminar - 1 credit
pathogenic bacteriology - 3 credits
general parasitology - 2 credits
topics in cognitive development (major) - 3 credits
maybe one more bio or a different class in my major - 3 credits

with TA:
histology - 4
pathogenic bacteriology - 3
topics in cognitive development - 3
obesity and the regulation of body weight - 3
TA anatomy and physiology - 5

so this is what is important: is TAing worth missing out on some cool classes? i'm graduating this year so this is my last semester. if i TA, i will lead 2 lab sections and then hold office hours, grade quizzes, etc. i'm thinking the LOR will be pretty sick, so that's why i want to do it.

thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

On top of what you listed, TAing can also be spun as leadership experience, so there's that too.

If you really need a good LOR, I would do the TA. If you are pretty good, do whatever you would enjoy more. Unless you need to improve your sGPA, then having a bunch more science courses won't do you a ton of good (unless you are interested of course).

Unless you already have a ridiculous amount of great things to list as experiences on your application, I would guess that being able to list TA experience will be a huge benefit for you.

I also think that being a TA is very fun. I currently TA for evolution, and it is one of the best experiences I have had academically so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
TA. Have you done it before? It's a really great experience. I did it four times and loved it each time. You will learn more than enough science in med school.

my sgpa isn't very good, but i was planning on doing a post-bacc. i am a TA for comparative physiology right now (which is helping me get the anat/phys position to begin with), so that would be one LOR. if i need 3 science LORs, TAing would get me a solid one from the prof because she really likes me as is. then i need one more, so i was going to try to TA microbio over the summer after i graduate. my activities overall are not bad, or at least i don't think so, but maybe you will think otherwise:

comparative physiology TA
research (3rd year)
editor for school paper
faceaids member
english tutor

ahhhhh so many stressful decisions to make

I faced this dilemma several times during my college career. In my opinion, the experience of being a TA outweighs taking a random class every time.

Being a TA gives you the chance for a great LOR, it is excellent leadership experience, and it really helps you to learn the subject matter better than you did the first time around. Plus, if you enjoy teaching, it can be a lot of fun, and sometimes you need something fun and fulfilling to balance out all of the other work.

LORs are by far one of the most underrated parts of an application, go for the TA position!