Tablet for e-books or hard copy textbooks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slfamzie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be a first year at LSU in August (yay!) and many of the books are available as e-books. Did I mention there are MANY MANY books? I'm not a fan of carrying heavy books. I was wondering if anyone has any input on e-books vs. hard copy books, and maybe what tablet they use.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm definitely curious about the tablet thing, I'm looking into getting a Galaxy Note. Any insight?

I am going to be a first year at LSU in August (yay!) and many of the books are available as e-books. Did I mention there are MANY MANY books? I'm not a fan of carrying heavy books. I was wondering if anyone has any input on e-books vs. hard copy books, and maybe what tablet they use.
1) when i first read your username, i thought it said "slaframine" (aka slobbers disease of sheep:smack:)
2) i think if you can swing it, you should find out from upperclassmen AT LSU what books are recommended and useful. SGU recommends and "requires" an enormous amount of books. thing is, most of them never get opened because either our notes are sufficient, the professor has office hours to explain stuff, or the golden web helps us out. we may or may not have quite a few pdfs circulating around our student body too...point is, find out if people who went through those classes think you need the books. would certainly stink to pay money for something you never open!

beyond that, i think its a matter of preference. are you fine with reading or searching for stuff on a tablet? or are you the kind of person that just finds it easier to page through a book to get to the answer? if you find one or the other even slightly tedious, just try to picture reading or studying hardcore that way when you are least motivated and most frazzled!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha they are my initials plus my dog's name. Thanks for the tip! I've definitely done that. I've got the list pretty well narrowed down, but it's still a lot. I've never owned a tablet or used e-books, but I also usually don't need to use textbooks. Usually I'm golden with class notes plus curiosity and google. I usually get in-depth enough not to use the book. I'm fairly certain that will no longer be the case.

1) when i first read your username, i thought it said "slaframine" (aka slobbers disease of sheep:smack:)
2) i think if you can swing it, you should find out from upperclassmen AT LSU what books are recommended and useful. SGU recommends and "requires" an enormous amount of books. thing is, most of them never get opened because either our notes are sufficient, the professor has office hours to explain stuff, or the golden web helps us out. we may or may not have quite a few pdfs circulating around our student body too...point is, find out if people who went through those classes think you need the books. would certainly stink to pay money for something you never open!

So speaking of books at SGU, what do you think I do and don't need first term? Do they pre-package books we have to buy? Sorry I'm hijacking this thread really quick...

Also, check with current students to see if any of the textbooks are already in your library. Penn keeps several copies of many of the "required" textbooks in the library so students don't have to buy them. The only books I've ever bought were Dyce and Little Miller (Guide to dissection of the dog).

And for tablets, I have the Galaxy Note 10.1. Feel free to PM if you have any questions about it. I've also talked about it on one of the "new computer" threads.

I was wondering when all the school supply talk was going to start! Now we just need to start discussing favorite pens, then I'll be happy. :p I haven't really bought that many textbooks, but basically I used a hardcopy dissection guide because using an ebook for that seemed to difficult (says the person who shattered her ipad on the anatomy lab floor). I use an ebook for physiology, since they gave as access to that for free, and you know free is all the explanation needed there. I've also occasionally used some of my old hard copy textbooks from undergrad as a reference. This being said, I do still prefer hard copy, but I don't absolutely detest the ebooks like I used to. They have their definite advantages, ie. you can take them everywhere, being able to read without worrying about having enough light and whether the light will glare off the shiny textbook pages (yes, I find that very annoying), being able to search for terms in the text. I think that unless you have a strong preference one way or the other, you may find yourself using a mix. If I ever come across a book that I think I'll really want to keep as a reference I'll buy it hardcopy, but otherwise, if I would ever seen the need to buy a textbook for another reason, I'd probably just save some money and do the ebook. But it's also good to keep in mind that not all ebooks are created equal. My free physiology textbook is kinda crappy in terms of formatting and not the easiest to follow along with, but, you know, free. And I second what orca said about checking with the library. They'll sometimes even have access to ebooks, so that's good to check out too!

I bought a couple textbooks that were hard copies that included "veterinary consult" which was basically an ebook copy too. It was really nice to have the ebook form because it's searchable. The only hard copy I actually used was our anatomy dissection guide. I don't usually buy books for most courses because my school has copies on reserve in the library you can use if needed. If I do buy them I got them from an upperclassman for cheaper than I could usually find online. One semester we added up the costs if you were to actually buy every "required" and "recommended" book...it was over $3,500(!) for a semester that I never actually needed a book for. As I've progressed into clinics I'm more likely to buy book for references later on, but definitely don't go out before first year and buy a ton of books without asking an upperclassmen what classes you actually need a book for.

I bought a couple textbooks that were hard copies that included "veterinary consult" which was basically an ebook copy too. It was really nice to have the ebook form because it's searchable. The only hard copy I actually used was our anatomy dissection guide. I don't usually buy books for most courses because my school has copies on reserve in the library you can use if needed. If I do buy them I got them from an upperclassman for cheaper than I could usually find online. One semester we added up the costs if you were to actually buy every "required" and "recommended" book...it was over $3,500(!) for a semester that I never actually needed a book for. As I've progressed into clinics I'm more likely to buy book for references later on, but definitely don't go out before first year and buy a ton of books without asking an upperclassmen what classes you actually need a book for.

It pisses me off to no end that many of the big textbook publishers are making you pay separately for ebook versions. I like hardcopy - when I'm at home I much prefer to have a physical book to page through. But having the e-copy is awfully handy when I'm in the hospital with my ipad. I'm not about to pay double for that. So instead I just don't buy.

Super curious what their marketing departments are thinking. It's like they're TRYING to push people toward downloading free/illegal copies.

So speaking of books at SGU, what do you think I do and don't need first term? Do they pre-package books we have to buy? Sorry I'm hijacking this thread really quick...
its a pre-packaged set. whether or not you can decline it, i'm not so sure about that. you'd need to ask a lower term student at this point :)

totally forgot the library bit, but yes, its likely your library has copies of stuff (heck even WE do haha) so if you needed it to reference during studying, it would be right there.

the not using vet school textbooks goes for people who were heavy book learners in undergrad. every program is different of course, but i have found that a vast majority of my professors expect me to know exactly whats in my notes (regardless of whether it says something completely different in a textbook or the internet or even another professor) and they think that what is in my notes is the most important stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
the not using vet school textbooks goes for people who were heavy book learners in undergrad. every program is different of course, but i have found that a vast majority of my professors expect me to know exactly whats in my notes (regardless of whether it says something completely different in a textbook or the internet or even another professor) and they think that what is in my notes is the most important stuff.
Yeah, I'll agree with that... I learned everything out of textbooks in undergrad, as going to my large lecture classes was useless for me and my horrid attention span. Have used a textbook only very rarely this year. Unlike in undergrad when they either don't give you class notes or the notes have lots of missing information in an effort to force you to pay attention, it's generally pretty much all there in the notes in vet school. They want you to do well and learn the information, whereas those big undergrad basic science classes are often "weed out" classes. Only had one class last semester that I really had to write down a lot of notes for because his slides were a bit deficient in explanations of the complicated biochemical diagrams. And we are lucky enough to have lecture capture, so I could just go back and rewatch it all at my convenience. Certainly didn't use the textbook.

Yeah, I'll agree with that... I learned everything out of textbooks in undergrad, as going to my large lecture classes was useless for me and my horrid attention span. Have used a textbook only very rarely this year. Unlike in undergrad when they either don't give you class notes or the notes have lots of missing information in an effort to force you to pay attention, it's generally pretty much all there in the notes in vet school. They want you to do well and learn the information, whereas those big undergrad basic science classes are often "weed out" classes. Only had one class last semester that I really had to write down a lot of notes for because his slides were a bit deficient in explanations of the complicated biochemical diagrams. And we are lucky enough to have lecture capture, so I could just go back and rewatch it all at my convenience. Certainly didn't use the textbook.

That's true for most of the first three years.... other than Clin Path in second year, when textbooks become useful. Whether it's Thrall or Stockham or ... whatever ... I found that Clin Path was the first time in vet school where I really regularly made use of textbooks. And as you transition into clinics, they seem to really prefer you rely on either good, recent textbooks or (better yet) current peer-reviewed journal material.

And there are some textbooks that are just useful to have in general: a good anatomy text, a good radiology text .... etc.

I have only purchased three books and I have only seriously read/looked at one of them. The radiology book is the only one I have read, but we had to teach ourselves radiology, so I didn't have a choice in the matter. I will occasionally look up something in Fossum if I need a little more info, but I rarely touch it. I have the online version of the radiology book as well, but it is seriously lacking, not all of the pictures are uploaded and many of the chapters are missing. Anyway, I don't buy books much and there are a lot of book in our library for us to use as well. I definitely suggest talking to the other years to see what books they found useful and worth purchasing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, LSU vet student here. :hello:
Personally, I didn't really use any of the books (required or otherwise) except the dog dissection guide, Dyce, and the color histology atlas (they're changing that one this year though, aren't they?). Anything I did want to use was in the library, and most of that was for PBL rather than a specific class, anyway. My study buddy as of last semester, though, has ebooks for pretty much everything (I think she got the pageburst bundle, maybe), and searching through them has been really helpful. Definitely get the dog guide, obviously, and you'll probably want Dyce (one instructor in particular really really likes that book); anything else you can probably wait and see if you want it.

:thumbup:

Thanks everyone. That helps a lot! With the order form being due in a couple weeks for the bookstore it made it seem so final. Like, get what you're gonna get, because that's it after that. I really have only ever used math books plus O chem and Biochem books, but I figured I wouldn't be able to get away with that anymore.
Equineconstant: did you find there was anything from first year you absolutely wished you had for future reference? I'm thinking I don't want to buy e-books for some things so that I can sell them when I'm done. I figured first year there might be a lot I'd be fine with selling.

I just thought of another question for ya, equineconstant. I saw we are required to buy class notes, which I assumed will be on paper. Is there any point in buying a tablet for note-taking, or is it really just easier to write on the handouts (if they are paper)?

I don't go to LSU or SGU but I wanted to chime in. I love, love, love hardcover books. Learn way better than off of a computer screen. However, vet school is about being economical. And not that I would ever advocate pirating textbooks, but I don't think I have more than one or two textbooks that I haven't found available online. Makes it easier to tote around an entire library too.

Thanks everyone. That helps a lot! With the order form being due in a couple weeks for the bookstore it made it seem so final. Like, get what you're gonna get, because that's it after that. I really have only ever used math books plus O chem and Biochem books, but I figured I wouldn't be able to get away with that anymore.
Equineconstant: did you find there was anything from first year you absolutely wished you had for future reference? I'm thinking I don't want to buy e-books for some things so that I can sell them when I'm done. I figured first year there might be a lot I'd be fine with selling.
don't forget that your school isnt the only place that sells textbooks ;) it might not even be the most convenient option (and it's unlikely to be the cheapest one for sure). if you decide you wish you had ___ at a later date, amazon can surely get it to you in days! not an option for us island students making book buying a little more stressful haha.

the only thing i suspect i will find truly useful for reference from 1st year is my anatomy book. i doubt i'll really be poking much into my physiology, immuno, histo, microbio, and pharm books in the future. medicine and surgery books for sure, but probably not the basics

Reactions: 1 users
I've bought a couple books that will probably be useful later on in my career (interested in ER, so I've bought a couple of good reference texts), a clin path text, Ettinger, Fossum, Thrall, and the five minute canine-feline consult. I rarely use textbooks to study for exams (our notes are usually super complete and that's what we're tested on), more just as an extra reference if I need clarification on something.

I second what jmo said. I think I bought maybe one book through the bookstore each semester because I thought it might be useful but couldn't find it on bigwords. I haven't sold anything back, either--my philosophy is that I don't need to buy anything unless I want to keep it for reference. So far I bought anatomy, histology, pathology, one of the recommended books for bacteriology (the required one was a microbiology text; I figured the more specific "agents of disease" one would be more useful), and...probably a couple others that I don't remember right now. I can't really say whether there's anything I want for future reference because I haven't needed to look up that stuff yet.

I just thought of another question for ya, equineconstant. I saw we are required to buy class notes, which I assumed will be on paper. Is there any point in buying a tablet for note-taking, or is it really just easier to write on the handouts (if they are paper)?
The notes are paper, and I like to just write on those notes and make my study guides from there. You don't get notes for anatomy, though (unless they changed it this year? I would guess not, though--apparently the notes packet would be ~$200 more expensive if those were printed out). I have a tablet, and I like it for a couple of reasons. Anatomy notes, for one: I got a keyboard for it and mostly typed, but I liked that I could copy a drawing with my stylus. I like that I can have a computer with me in my backpack at all times without it being too heavy. It came in handy for PBL especially, and a couple of other times. Mostly I use it to study, though. It lets me search text in the powerpoints and access helpful stuff on the class dropbox while maintaining a book-like feel instead of my less convenient laptop. Plus it lets me study in places other than my desk--I think I did most of my studying first semester on the couch downstairs, and now I do most of it at a friend's house.

Galaxy Note. I think it's the 10.1? I got it last summer before school started.

Galaxy Note. I think it's the 10.1? I got it last summer before school started.

Do you love it? I've been looking at those! It sounds like it works really well. I might ask for one for my birthday :)

Do you love it? I've been looking at those! It sounds like it works really well. I might ask for one for my birthday :)

I'm a big fan of mine. You can tell it to not recognize your palm when writing and I love the stylus. Let me know if you want to see samples of any notes. I've already sent some to someone else on here.

I'm a big fan of mine. You can tell it to not recognize your palm when writing and I love the stylus. Let me know if you want to see samples of any notes. I've already sent some to someone else on here.

I would love to see some!

I would like to see some as well. I was playing with one yesterday at best buy and I love it! I have an iPad mini right now and it doesn't even compare in the handwriting arena. It would be nice to see how you organize your notes b/c I notice there are journals but I'm not sure what other levels of organization besides that there are.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I would like to see some as well. I was playing with one yesterday at best buy and I love it! I have an iPad mini right now and it doesn't even compare in the handwriting arena. It would be nice to see how you organize your notes b/c I notice there are journals but I'm not sure what other levels of organization besides that there are.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I'll send you a PM as well. And I'll take a few screenshots of how my notebooks are organized.

I'm really happy with it. :D It works well for what I use it for, it came with a great stylus, and I bought a case with a keyboard so I can type easily, too.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll send you a PM as well. And I'll take a few screenshots of how my notebooks are organized.
Can you add me to the PM list? I'm trying to decide on a tablet as well... I would really appreciate it! :)

Haven't read other responses but I greatly prefer using a tablet! Depending on the program you use they often have a "find" function so you can search for a word and find it easily (instead of flipping through pages thinking.. Where was that one thing about "x")

And it won't weigh a million pounds. Some programs let you highlight and add notes :)

Just a warning to everyone considering ebooks, try to find reviews and avoid books just being released as an ebook for the first time. I have a tablet-laptop from fujitsu that I love. It has a kindle program from amazon installed (free online) and the books through that work great. However I rented an ebook for a statistics class (had its own horrible software) and every time I had an assignment it made me want to rip my hair out. I couldn't scroll without skipping on to the next page, it constantly crashed my computer and took minutes to "flip" pages, which when your trying to do an assignment and need to find stuff across the chapter really, really sucks. Also, make sure you can access the entire book. Probably won't be a problem for your books, but my Organic chemistry had a study guide and book online that we had to pay for and there would be times when we were on say chapter eight, but the company had only uploaded up to chapter five. I bought the hard book as well, but had a friend who opted only for the online version to save money and she had borrow other's books from time to time. Another thing, you cannot sell back or buy used ebooks. If I had bought my statistics book, I could have bought in off amazon for $100 and sold it back to the bookstore for $60. I paid about $40 to rent the stupid ebook.

Last edited: