Tablet vs 2-in-1 laptop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rzees

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will be starting in August, and have heard a lot of people telling first years that they absolutely need to get an iPad to take notes. Thing is, I have a 2-in-1 laptop where I can flip my screen so it is the same as a tablet. I even have a pen to go with it. Is it still worth getting a tablet? I obviously don't own a mac (considering none are 2-in-1) so it isn't like the iPad would automatically sync to my computer. Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a technophile and love playing with gadgets. I started with a tablet, but ultimately ended back with pen and paper. It's all about what works for you, don't spend extra money when you have something that you already like.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a technophile and love playing with gadgets. I started with a tablet, but ultimately ended back with pen and paper. It's all about what works for you, don't spend extra money when you have something that you already like.
Thanks. Part of my problem is that I watched my sister go through vet school and she didn't get any tablets until she started her rotations. I know it isn't the same, but it just seems weird to me since I literally just bought a new computer. Wasn't sure if I was just being cheap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get the ipad. It’s so useful to be able to look at lecture/videos/etc on your main computer while taking notes at the same time.
You can upload notes pretty easy via google drive and other file sharing, which is built into note taking apps. Apple makes a lot of overpriced junk and ipads are worth it

Reactions: 3 users
Get the ipad. It’s so useful to be able to look at lecture/videos/etc on your main computer while taking notes at the same time.
You can upload notes pretty easy via google drive and other file sharing, which is built into note taking apps. Apple makes a lot of overpriced junk and ipads are worth it
Would you recommend a specific version of the iPad? Prices make me nervous which is leading me to investigate the iPad and iPad air.

I really enjoyed having an ipad for note writing with a stylus. Definitely not necessary, but there is something to be said about not contributing to the deafening roar of student stenographers in the lecture hall.

Would you recommend a specific version of the iPad? Prices make me nervous which is leading me to investigate the iPad and iPad air.

Get the cheapest one if money is an issue. But i wanna point out that ipad pro has a way better writing feel than other ipads. The tablet surface and pencil are both better on the pro. I would make an investment in the pro since youll probably use it all 4 years and maybe beyond.

Get the cheapest one if money is an issue. But i wanna point out that ipad pro has a way better writing feel than other ipads. The tablet surface and pencil are both better on the pro. I would make an investment in the pro since youll probably use it all 4 years and maybe beyond.
You’re the first person I hear say this. I been looking into buying an iPad and trying to see whether I should go Pro, Air, or Regular. A YouTuber and Apple tech said to go with the Air as a student unless you have the money and want a bigger screen in the pro. But nothing about the way it functions when writing. Curious to see what other people think.

You’re the first person I hear say this. I been looking into buying an iPad and trying to see whether I should go Pro, Air, or Regular. A YouTuber and Apple tech said to go with the Air as a student unless you have the money and want a bigger screen in the pro. But nothing about the way it functions when writing. Curious to see what other people think.

Here's something i found online for you

I have the ipad pro and my brother has a regular ipad so i've tried out both. The pro screen is like writing on glass and it's smooth, whereas the normal ipad screen feels like plastic and you have to push down on the plastic to write on the screen.

If there's an apple store around you, i would go and try it out for yourself and decide from there.

Here's something i found online for you

I have the ipad pro and my brother has a regular ipad so i've tried out both. The pro screen is like writing on glass and it's smooth, whereas the normal ipad screen feels like plastic and you have to push down on the plastic to write on the screen.

If there's an apple store around you, i would go and try it out for yourself and decide from there.

I have both and I think the difference in feel is minimal at best, but I’m sure this is personal preference. Get a paperlike screen protector if you want the feel of writing on paper. It’s a game changer for either iPad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was always happy with my Surface Pro. It worked like a laptop for the preclinical years, including exams, and I could write on it like a tablet, and flip it vertically to read PDF textbooks.

A 2 in 1 was perfect for me- Surface Pro. Pretty much the perfect device for med school lectures and notetaking. The people saying iPad are probably referring to an iPad pro (Well I guess the others can use the pencil now too? idk) which is kind of a 2 in 1 as well. But if you don't use apple products just getting a random iPad wouldn't be super useful.

However, I am switching to a macbook and possibly ipad mini for 3rd year since the surface pro is not great just as a laptop, but is too big to carry everywhere as a tablet. But it was great for preclinical.

Last edited:
I was always happy with my Surface Pro. It worked like a laptop for the preclinical years, including exams, and I could write on it like a tablet, and flip it vertically to read PDF textbooks.
Did you use the surface pro for exams? The non-apple products I have used in the past were not always the most reliable (became really slow after a year of use). I really like the idea of a surface pro, but am worried about it not being reliable for exams. I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and get macbook/ipad combo. If you find it works well though, maybe a surface pro is the way to go

Did you use the surface pro for exams? The non-apple products I have used in the past were not always the most reliable (became really slow after a year of use). I really like the idea of a surface pro, but am worried about it not being reliable for exams. I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and get macbook/ipad combo. If you find it works well though, maybe a surface pro is the way to go

FWIW my i5/8gb surface pro was definitely reliable for exams and runs well after 2 years, never crashed I don't think. Not as smooth as MacOS but it worked well. And the keyboard cover is as good as a real keyboard. But the OS overall is kinda awkward as a tablet if you plan to carry it around as a tablet.

Yes, I used it for all exams throughout med school. It sometime took an extra 30 seconds to open ExamSoft, but it never ran slow during the exam. And there was never a lag or any issues with NBME shelf exams. I have a good 17” laptop as well, and I never brought it to school for anything; the Surface Pro ended up being my primary computer. The laptop ended up being where I store photos, and what my kids used for virtual education during covid.

Excuse me if this derails the thread significantly...for those rocking an iPAD...what are the worthwhile apps?

Notability?
...?

Thx

Excuse me if this derails the thread significantly...for those rocking an iPAD...what are the worthwhile apps?

Notability?
...?

Thx
Obviously I don't own one, yet, but my classmates have spoken a lot about notability and goodnotes. Personally I really enjoy OneNote. Maybe that is because I don't have iOS, but it also works on apple products. I think they're all fairly similar in service though

Another consideration with COVID is that some clinical opportunities are through Telehealth, and I know that some schools prefer that you have an iOS device to take part.

You absolutely do not need an iPad or tablet. I have a 2-in-1 laptop, desktop, iPad, and giant digital art tablet. I still use pen and paper for the rare occasion I need notes. Most people I know do Anki, and you only need Win+Shift+S (Cmd+Alt+4) for that.

I love my iPad, but it’s mostly a Netflix and YouTube device.

I read Robbins on my iPad and did a few powerpoints on it, but it’s mostly a convenience factor once in a blue moon.