tablets. worth the investment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slick15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
heard they have great apps for notes which make everything easier? worth the investment? suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I too have been wondering if having a tablet with a stylus would be a useful feature for marking up / digitally writing on PDFs or Powerpoints... For undergrad I just had a conventional non-touch laptop... and honestly I was one of the last few folks that would actually print out those 60 slide PPT lectures and do old school pen and paper notes... I'm thinking printing the lectures for dental school would be insane/horrible though so I've been looking at the 13inch HP Spectre x360 with i7 recently, I like how it is a pretty powerful 2 in 1 and can act as both tablet or laptop...

The surface pro-4 is also a neat device and imo is the mother of all tablets (if you buy a higher spec model), it can also be converted into a pretty regular laptop with the additional $130 keyboard you can (must) buy for it... I hear the clip on keyboard isn't too sturdy if its just in your lap / not on a desk so that's one of the reasons I'm leaning towards the Spectre

Last edited:
I too have been wondering if having a tablet with a stylus would be a useful feature for marking up / digitally writing on PDFs or Powerpoints... For undergrad I just had a conventional non-touch laptop... and honestly I was one of the last few folks that would actually print out those 60 slide PPT lectures and do old school pen and paper notes... I'm thinking printing the lectures for dental school would be insane/horrible though so I've been looking at the 13inch HP Spectre x360 with i7 recently, I like how it is a pretty powerful 2 in 1 and can act as both tablet or laptop...

The surface pro-4 is also a neat device and imo is the mother of all tablets (if you buy a higher spec model), it can also be converted into a pretty regular laptop with the additional $130 keyboard you can (must) buy for it... I hear the clip on keyboard isn't too sturdy if its just in your lap / not on a desk so that's one of the reasons I'm leaning towards the Spectre
From what I've seen and heard (from UCLA dental students - hey future classmate), a lot of people start with tablets or hybrid laptops but get swamped by the amount of information. Then most people stick to typing since they can't possibly write fast enough, or they just listen and absorb and take notes on their own after lecture. Or they don't even go to class haha. If you think you'll use the tablet for note taking on your own time then I guess it'd be useful. I want to just buy a chromebook and have a desktop at my apartment but I'm not sure if chromebooks are going to be enough.

Oh, hey hey future classmate :highfive:! Thanks for the helpful information! I'm getting excited to start next month and meet everyone. I'm definitely a big advocate for having a sound desktop, between my smart phone and desktop I almost never even use my laptop anymore lol