Taboo to Mention Illegal Drugs in Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KoolKeith

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to use example of my good friend dropping out in 9th grade to traffic heroin, and may include various other references to gangs, meth, etc. Obviously, no personal use, but would like to use these points as a reference to where I came from. Should I avoid these topics or forge ahead? TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Wanted to use example of my good friend dropping out in 9th grade to traffic heroin, and may include various other references to gangs, meth, etc. Obviously, no personal use, but would like to use these points as a reference to where I came from. Should I avoid these topics or forge ahead? TIA
Maybe could work if you tailor your PS to Psychiatry. Make sure your ECs and shadowing would support it though..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You should make your PS a whole rendition of Scarface

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Drug use is a very relevant topic in medicine and its effects are seen across a variety of fields. If it's relevant to your path to becoming a physician then sure, but I would have an adult (advisor, physician, faculty member) read it to make sure it won't come across the wrong way. Also make sure you don't come across as apathetic about it/realize that it's now fair game. Even though you may not have felt it was appropriate to, say, turn your friend in to the police, be prepared for the odd adcom to question why you didn't.

Maybe could work if you tailor your PS to Psychiatry. Make sure your ECs and shadowing would support it though..

Can you elaborate on what you mean about relating it to psych? I work at a psych hospital but wasn't planning on using it that way. More for background history leading to medicine.

Drug use is a very relevant topic in medicine and its effects are seen across a variety of fields. If it's relevant to your path to becoming a physician then sure, but I would have an adult (advisor, physician, faculty member) read it to make sure it won't come across the wrong way. Also make sure you don't come across as apathetic about it/realize that it's now fair game. Even though you may not have felt it was appropriate to, say, turn your friend in to the police, be prepared for the odd adcom to question why you didn't.

That's a good point, may just leave it out entirely.

Can you elaborate on what you mean about relating it to psych? I work at a psych hospital but wasn't planning on using it that way. More for background history leading to medicine.

What @ed*26 said...psychiatry and psychology deal a lot with substance abuse and disorders obviously. This person felt the need to do that and you might want to explore why.

Also, I believe AAMC is emphasizing Biopsychosocial factors as now relevant to medical school curriculum and patient health evidenced by the inclusion of the Psych/Soc section on the MCAT.

I would say that behavior such as your friend's could be something to talk about, but I probably wouldn't do it to try to illustrate how you grew up in a rough area. With supporting EC's like working at a Psych hospital I would say it appropriately complements your story and would add support to your application if you claim to want to go into Psych and its the direction you choose to go in for your app.

Perhaps @LizzyM could chime in? She's good with this stuff.

Last edited:
Personally, I would leave it out. It's a topic that's difficult to understand and relate to without having had friends who did drugs, etc. I also believe it is too easy to sound naive when you attempt to relate drug addiction to being a good doctor. You would really need the right person to read your PS for it to work.

Addiction and drug seeking behavior is a very timely subject. Drug dealing and gang issues is another. Not only are psychiatrists dealing with addiction but its effects are touching primary care, emergency medicine, and just about anyone with a prescription pad. Drug dealing and the violence that accompanies turf wars has repercussions in emergency medicine, trauma surgery, and PM&R (physical medicine and rehabilitation) to name a few.

If the environment (neighborhood) where you were raise influenced your decision to pursue a career in medicine and if you have compassion for addicts and criminals despite their deeds, then you might have the makings of a very powerful PS.

Reactions: 2 users
In my medical school PS, I talked about how my childhood best friend died of a heroin overdose. At that point in my life, I was leaning heavily towards addiction psychiatry and the PS was very well-received overall.

I did end up with at least 5 conversations about "the war on drugs" and socioeconomic status during my interviews, so you should be prepared for those things if you write your PS as planned. I also ended up in the very uncomfortable situation of having multiple interviewers perseverate on "disadvantaged" I was, and how I could bring nice balance to their medical school classes. I'm sure they meant it as a compliment, but it certainly didn't come off that way.

What @ed*26 said...psychiatry and psychology deal a lot with substance abuse and disorders obviously. This person felt the need to do that and you might want to explore why.

Also, I believe AAMC is emphasizing Biopsychosocial factors as now relevant to medical school curriculum and patient health evidenced by the inclusion of the Psych/Soc section on the MCAT.

I would say that behavior such as your friend's could be something to talk about, but I probably wouldn't do it to try to illustrate how you grew up in a rough area. With supporting EC's like working at a Psych hospital I would say it appropriately complements your story and would add support to your application if you claim to want to go into Psych and its the direction you choose to go in for your app.

Perhaps @LizzyM could chime in? She's good with this stuff.

Gotcha, thanks, hadn't really thought of using it like that. It came up when I was addressing the "why now" aspect of the statement because that's what I considered normal behavior in high school, nobody was thinking about college, definitely not medical school. I was just trying to be specific and descriptive, which imo is more interesting to read than something general like "we weren't preparing for college". Medicine wasn't even on the radar as an option at that time and it took me some time to realize that medical school is achievable through dedication and hard work, that it's not not just for wealthy people. Any advice on approaching that in a less controversial way?

Was also planning to explain how those experiences have made me able to better understand patients from that realm. In that way I suppose it's similar what you were advising, just hadn't thought to link it to psych, which I do happen to be interested in.

In my medical school PS, I talked about how my childhood best friend died of a heroin overdose. At that point in my life, I was leaning heavily towards addiction psychiatry and the PS was very well-received overall.

I did end up with at least 5 conversations about "the war on drugs" and socioeconomic status during my interviews, so you should be prepared for those things if you write your PS as planned. I also ended up in the very uncomfortable situation of having multiple interviewers perseverate on "disadvantaged" I was, and how I could bring nice balance to their medical school classes. I'm sure they meant it as a compliment, but it certainly didn't come off that way.

Interesting, that's really helpful. thank you

Addiction and drug seeking behavior is a very timely subject. Drug dealing and gang issues is another. Not only are psychiatrists dealing with addiction but its effects are touching primary care, emergency medicine, and just about anyone with a prescription pad. Drug dealing and the violence that accompanies turf wars has repercussions in emergency medicine, trauma surgery, and PM&R (physical medicine and rehabilitation) to name a few.

If the environment (neighborhood) where you were raise influenced your decision to pursue a career in medicine and if you have compassion for addicts and criminals despite their deeds, then you might have the makings of a very powerful PS.

Thanks, very useful. I can definitely relate experiences to my interest in some of those fields. I didn't see your reply before I posted my response to youbetcha, do you think I can use it to help explain the "why now" or is it best if I stick to the issues you mentioned in your reply?

Thanks, very useful. I can definitely relate experiences to my interest in some of those fields. I didn't see your reply before I posted my response to youbetcha, do you think I can use it to help explain the "why now" or is it best if I stick to the issues you mentioned in your reply?

Go with what it means to you... not necessarily what I've described. I just want to make the point that it is not a taboo issue that shouldn't be used in a PS if it describes your path and contributed to your career goals (or describes why your goals changed over time).

Go with what it means to you... not necessarily what I've described. I just want to make the point that it is not a taboo issue that shouldn't be used in a PS if it describes your path and contributed to your career goals (or describes why your goals changed over time).

Great, that's exactly what I needed to know. I'd rather not spin it into something it's not. Thanks

Ditto to above.

As an aside, I'd be wary of it turning into a "I got out but now I gotta give back to the hood" cliche. Already been done by Ye.

Ditto to above.

As an aside, I'd be wary of it turning into a "I got out but now I gotta give back to the hood" cliche. Already been done by Ye.

Haha yeah good point, wasn't planning to go that route. Thanks