Tail insurance questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pluto201

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my tail insurance will cost 28k. Can I go without tail if I am confident I don’t have any possible malpractice lawsuit? Will my previous employer go after me and force me to buy it? Would nose from new insurance be sufficient if it is an option? I appreciate all responses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tail is generally about 1.5 x your annual premium. 28 k seems a bit high. Shop around as you do not HAVE to get a policy from your current malpractice provider.

Nose coverage is an option in some cases but you may be better off negotiating a signing bonus from new employer to cover your tail (which can be in some cases be tax deductible). I do not know the answer to your employer going after you but some groups feel that they need to mandate people buy tail coverage to protect the group from future litigation.

I personally was not comfortable going without tail coverage but that is a personal decision. The cost of my coverage was about 13k after 5 years of practice at my previous group.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Tail is generally about 1.5 x your annual premium. 28 k seems a bit high. Shop around as you do not HAVE to get a policy from your current malpractice provider.

Nose coverage is an option in some cases but you may be better off negotiating a signing bonus from new employer to cover your tail (which is can in many cases be tax deductible). I do not know the answer to your employer going after you but some groups feel that they need to mandate people buy tail coverage to protect the group from future litigation.

I personally was not comfortable going without tail coverage but that is a personal decision. The cost of my coverage was about 13k after 5 years of practice at my previous group.

Thank you for your answer! It would be great if it is tax deductible but I don’t think so with the new tax law.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your answer! It would be great if it is tax deductible but I don’t think so with the new tax law.

AFAIK, the tail is not tax deductbile, if YOU pay it. The signing bonus probably is, for your employer (like all salary expenses).

Reactions: 1 users
I was not an employee so my tail was taken out of accounts receivable from partnership before taxes, your personal situation may vary.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends. Do you feel lucky? How many cases did you do? What kind? How sure (SURE!) are you that there were no bad outcomes, including delayed bad outcomes, that could lead to litigation?

That said. Once upon a time I chose not to pay for tail insurance. My circumstances were unusual though. I was working full time, on active duty in the Navy. I had my own part-time claims-made policy to cover moonlighting. The policy was relatively inexpensive, and discounted for <1/4 of a full time equivalent. The tail, however, was quoted at 240% of the undiscounted full time premium. In effect, my tail was quoted at 960% of my previous year's premium. I went back and forth with them a couple times, and at one point I made some progress and the agent thought it might be possible to make an exception. I think they understood I was at about zero risk, and wanted to scratch a little extra money out of me. I think if I had pressed the issue they'd have settled for 240% of the 1/4-time policy premium.

Ultimately I didn't pay for it, for the following reasons:
  • I deployed for the Navy for the better part of a year. Did zero cases moonlighting under that policy during that time.
  • Got home, and because of a move and lack of desire, did about 20 cases moonlighting under that policy during the next year.
  • Went away for fellowship for a year, did zero cases under the policy.
  • Cancelled the policy then.
  • Never did OB under that policy.
  • No poor outcomes that I was aware of. (Have to admit there is risk here. You never know what delayed surgical complication will crop up, or suddenly remembered awareness under anesthesia will cause debilitating psychological trauma.)
  • Importantly, for the two states I worked in, the statute of limitations for medical malpractice claims are 1 year (California) and 2 years (Virginia). It's not quite that simple - there are extensions to these times, but mainly they center around retained surgical instruments, fraud committed to conceal complications, and complications that are "discovered" later. Again, there's risk in counting on the statute of limitations to shield you. Not the least of which is that you, and not the insurance carrier, will be the one paying the lawyer to get a case thrown out.
To sum up, for the final ~2 years I had the policy in effect, I did a couple dozen low risk routine cases that would've been inside the statute of limitations. So I chose not to pay 10 years' worth of premiums to purchase a tail to cover that low risk.

That was about 3 years ago. Generally speaking, one shouldn't ever go tailless. These days when I moonlight I insist on occurrence coverage from a locums agency or the hospital I contract with directly. Just not worth the headache to carry my own claims-made policy.

There will be some who argue I was an idiot to go tailless, even under these circumstances. They may be right. So far, so good.

(Edit - fixed some dates. Time flies, feels like forever ago.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Depends. Do you feel lucky? How many cases did you do? What kind? How sure (SURE!) are you that there were no bad outcomes, including delayed bad outcomes, that could lead to litigation?

That said. Once upon a time I chose not to pay for tail insurance. My circumstances were unusual though. I was working full time, on active duty in the Navy. I had my own part-time claims-made policy to cover moonlighting. The policy was relatively inexpensive, and discounted for 4 of a full time equivalent. The tail, however, was quoted at 240% of the undiscounted full time premium. In effect, my tail was quoted at 960% of my previous year's premium. I went back and forth with them a couple times, and at one point I made some progress and the agent thought it might be possible to make an exception. I think they understood I was at about zero risk, and wanted to scratch a little extra money out of me. I think if I had pressed the issue they'd have settled for 240% of the 1/4-time policy premium.

Ultimately I didn't pay for it, for the following reasons:
  • I deployed for the Navy for the better part of a year. Did zero cases moonlighting under that policy during that time.
  • Got home, and because of a move and lack of desire, did about 20 cases moonlighting under that policy during the next year.
  • Went away for fellowship for a year, did zero cases under the policy.
  • Cancelled the policy then.
  • Never did OB under that policy.
  • No poor outcomes that I was aware of. (Have to admit there is risk here. You never know what delayed surgical complication will crop up, or suddenly remembered awareness under anesthesia will cause debilitating psychological trauma.)
  • Importantly, for the two states I worked in, the statute of limitations for medical malpractice claims are 1 year (California) and 2 years (Virginia). It's not quite that simple - there are extensions to these times, but mainly they center around retained surgical instruments, fraud committed to conceal complications, and complications that are "discovered" later. Again, there's risk in counting on the statute of limitations to shield you. Not the least of which is that you, and not the insurance carrier, will be the one paying the lawyer to get a case thrown out.
To sum up, for the final ~2 years I had the policy in effect, I did a couple dozen low risk routine cases that would've been inside the statute of limitations. So I chose not to pay 10 years' worth of premiums to purchase a tail to cover that low risk.

That was about 3 years ago. Generally speaking, one shouldn't ever go tailless. These days when I moonlight I insist on occurrence coverage from a locums agency or the hospital I contract with directly. Just not worth the headache to carry my own claims-made policy.

There will be some who argue I was an idiot to go tailless, even under these circumstances. They may be right. So far, so good.

(Edit - fixed some dates. Time flies, feels like forever ago.)

Thanks ppg for your response! I had this insurance for 9 years, my state has a 2 1/2 statute of limitation. I work in a level 2 trauma hospital no OB cases no Peds not very busy practice. I have never been sued and unaware of any bad outcome so far. I guess my best option is to find a cheaper tail, skipping the tail will make me uncomfortable but still one of my options.

The cost of defending one frivolous lawsuit would likely exceed the cost of the tail. A broken tooth is a $7k case per some CSA article I read. If you actually were found liable for some delayed block injury, etc. you’re completely f’d and so is your family and retirement. You have no idea what happens after the immediate post surgery period, who was discharged to where, how rehab went, if the surgeon is already being sued and you’re just not named (yet).
You’d be crazy to go without a tail.
Fortunately I’ve been lucky enough to have occurrence coverage. Peds is a nightmare as well as the kids can sue you when they turn 18.

Reactions: 3 users
Would love for someone to explain how this type of insurance even came about? As far as I understand it your car and homeowners insurance don’t lapse after the policy has ended (if you are sued for an occurrence that happened while the policy was in effect). If I pay insurance for a given period of time, I should be covered for that period of time, it should not make a difference when the lawsuit is filed.

Reactions: 1 user
Would love for someone to explain how this type of insurance even came about? As far as I understand it your car and homeowners insurance don’t lapse after the policy has ended (if you are sued for an occurrence that happened while the policy was in effect). If I pay insurance for a given period of time, I should be covered for that period of time, it should not make a difference when the lawsuit is filed.

I think it is a way to lower insurance premiums good for the employer bad for the physicians. I would never practice on claims made again without a guaranteed tail.

I don’t know how much my insurance costs, but I do know that one system that I worked for switched to Occurrence right before I joined because, supposedly, it was more cost effective than claims made plus a tail. Though some of that may relate to relatively high turn over at an academic pressure cooker.
I’m sure there are members here that know what the cost differences are as well as a tail/nose policy.
PS One guy that left our group was offered a signing bonus plus a nose or the cash equivalent added to the bonus as part of his relocation package.

20K is what I once paid in 2015 for my tail with "The Medical Protective Company (Berkshire Hathaway)". All subsequent credentialing applications and liability insurance applications required information proving that I had coverage provided by either a previous claims-made policy and a paid tail or an occurrence type policy. I don't know what would have happened if I did not have the tail for my claims-made policy.

Paid 13k once after leaving a job less than two years later. Would have made much more sense to do occurrence based, but I was young and Naive.