• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Take a C in physics or drop with W?

ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2007
  1. Pre-Medical
*sigh* so it looks like im gonna get a C in physics this quarter. this wil be my 2nd C in my year and a quarter undergrad career. do u guys recomend dropping the class with a W or just taking the C and moving forth in my prereqs?

Upvote 0
About the Ads

sean1984

10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2007
To give a different perspective, I TA at a major university for physics and have a lot of pre-med students who had C's but have pulled it up to a B over the past month. I would suggest analyzing whether you could get a B or not without hurting your other classes. If you could get a B, but would have to get C's in other pre-med courses to get it, I would suggest against it. If you do decide to stay in the class, I would suggest abusing your TA's and professors office hours. The reason you pay for classes is not only for lectures that most of the time are too dense to understand, it is to have a highly educated individual help you understand the material during one on one sessions such as office hours. wish you the best

Upvote 0
About the Ads

cubssox2000

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
In the MKE
  1. Medical Student
Two C's will not kill you, especially if you are able to make up the GPA somewhere else. A W will also not ruin everything, but you will have to be able to explain it during an interview. I have two C's and a W on my transcript and have an acceptance already.

However, a third C could do a lot of damage. If you think that a class will come up that you might get a C in, you could be forced to drop that one to maintain GPA. Then again, multiple W's on your transcript look worse than C's. Also, remember the most schools like to see an upward trend. While this does not mean that you should get a 2.0 freshman year just so your 4.0 junior years looks better, it does mean that having somewhat low freshman GPA can be counterbalanced by your classes later in college.

Best of luck!

Upvote 0

cdmccart

10+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2007
Fort Myers
  1. Pre-Medical
I was in your position last Spring. I ended up taking the C and I'm glad I did. I hated physics and doubted I would have done substantially better the second time around. I don't know the reputation at other schools, but at my school Physics II is easier. I'd say as long as you do better in Physics II than you did in Physics I, the C won't kill you. I figured I knew enough of the basics in Physics I to study and teach myself for the MCAT. If you're concerned about the GPA, then yeah, it sucks to have a C... but it won't completely sabotage your chances. If you're concerned that you're not learning enough to do well on the PS on MCAT, then I'd recommend you start studying the PS section early to ensure you have the time to ask questions and learn what you couldn't this quarter.

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.