Take a C in physics or drop with W?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
*sigh* so it looks like im gonna get a C in physics this quarter. this wil be my 2nd C in my year and a quarter undergrad career. do u guys recomend dropping the class with a W or just taking the C and moving forth in my prereqs?

Members don't see this ad.

Just move on... Do you really want to have to take physics again?

How likely is it that you really goin to get a C?

if i were in your situation i would take the W and focus on other classes

Members don't see this ad :)
Get it over with now... could be worse... you'll be glad you got it over with when it's over.

Not worth the time, take the C and learn the material when the mcat comes around for you, whenever that is.

Drop. A 'C' wrecks your GPA.

So there is absolutely nothing you can do?

yeah. as someone who had to repeat physics, i say that you should just get it over with. as long as you pass it, you'll be fine.

physics... the bane of my existence! :D

2 C's won't keep you out of med school. the bigger question is, why are you getting a C? Fluke exam or some deeper problem?

*sigh* so it looks like im gonna get a C in physics this quarter. this wil be my 2nd C in my year and a quarter undergrad career. do u guys recomend dropping the class with a W or just taking the C and moving forth in my prereqs?

You could just go to DO school.

C because i have never taken physics before while most of my clasmates have taken it in high school so its soooo hard for me. also i hate physics. i should've dropped it when i could've

To give a different perspective, I TA at a major university for physics and have a lot of pre-med students who had C's but have pulled it up to a B over the past month. I would suggest analyzing whether you could get a B or not without hurting your other classes. If you could get a B, but would have to get C's in other pre-med courses to get it, I would suggest against it. If you do decide to stay in the class, I would suggest abusing your TA's and professors office hours. The reason you pay for classes is not only for lectures that most of the time are too dense to understand, it is to have a highly educated individual help you understand the material during one on one sessions such as office hours. wish you the best

Members don't see this ad :)
Two C's will not kill you, especially if you are able to make up the GPA somewhere else. A W will also not ruin everything, but you will have to be able to explain it during an interview. I have two C's and a W on my transcript and have an acceptance already.

However, a third C could do a lot of damage. If you think that a class will come up that you might get a C in, you could be forced to drop that one to maintain GPA. Then again, multiple W's on your transcript look worse than C's. Also, remember the most schools like to see an upward trend. While this does not mean that you should get a 2.0 freshman year just so your 4.0 junior years looks better, it does mean that having somewhat low freshman GPA can be counterbalanced by your classes later in college.

Best of luck!

I was in your position last Spring. I ended up taking the C and I'm glad I did. I hated physics and doubted I would have done substantially better the second time around. I don't know the reputation at other schools, but at my school Physics II is easier. I'd say as long as you do better in Physics II than you did in Physics I, the C won't kill you. I figured I knew enough of the basics in Physics I to study and teach myself for the MCAT. If you're concerned about the GPA, then yeah, it sucks to have a C... but it won't completely sabotage your chances. If you're concerned that you're not learning enough to do well on the PS on MCAT, then I'd recommend you start studying the PS section early to ensure you have the time to ask questions and learn what you couldn't this quarter.

DON'T be a DUMMY Take The W.

W
W
W
W
W
W
Withdraw:thumbup:

Withdraw if you think you can get at least a B next time. I withdrew from a prereq, retook it and did really well and not one school has questioned me about it at an interview. 1 W won't hurt you, 2 Cs might.

Just take the C. You passed the class now just do better on the rest of your classes. Two C's won't kill your gpa, and you're more likely to get asked about a W than a C on an interview. Just eat the C and do better next time.

C wldnt kill you when it comes to med school, i mean its PHYSICS...but might hurt ur gpa.
what bout withdrawin n takin it at a CC or somewhere easier? Just make sure u learn the material tho..

Oh I forgot, this is SDN... Withdraw, A C will ruin all chances at life.

I would just work hard to see if you could pull it to a B but take the C if you have too...

I had 3 C's all in math/science courses and got accepted to medical school.