Step I Take a scored step or wait until p/f? Advice please

Started by topssure
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

topssure

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

Currently taking a leave of absence due to personal reasons. Was supposed to take step 1 by the end of Feb as an M2, but my grandmother got covid during my dedicated, was hospitalized, and I had to fly all the way to my home country where she was to prepare for the worst. She recovered, but had serious side effects, and I chose to stay with her and took a year off. Our school requires a passed step 1 score to go into clinicals. I talked with deans and faculties from my school and all told me that LOA won't be an issue to residencies since it was an extraordinary circumstance.

I prepped to take step 1 in a week. But since I will be matriculating as M2024 now, I will be competing with people with a Pass on their step 1 score. I don't know if receiving a numerical score will be my best option at this point. Will the residencies even look at my step 1 score? How will they use it to compare with all the passes?

I am scoring around 65~70% on uworld, got 235 on my UWSA1, 235 on UWSA2, 225 on NBME 28, and 76% on free 120. Mid-tier private med school. It's been a rough year though and I don't know how I will feel on the exam day. I am interested in IM/FM or anesthesiology, and maybe ophtho but I am too lazy to give ophtho a shot anymore. I realized how much life I was missing out because of medical school after all the **** that happened this year, and just want a life without all the competition now. My only worry right now is potentially receiving a very low score to even give IM a shot lol.

Should I just wait until next year when it becomes pass/fail to just forget about all the stress? Or should I just take it since the score will likely be just counted as a 'pass' when I file my residency applications?
 
Gosh, I wish there was some input on this thread! I'm in the same boat. Have you decided anything since you posted this?
If I was in you guys’ situation, I’d schedule a test date for whatever the last day before the pass/fail switch is, and I would study like crazy until then. If my practice tests at that time were below average, I wouldn’t take it - a pass would likely be better in those circumstances. But if you were significantly above average, it still may work in your favor - sure can’t imagine it would hurt you.

I just took step 2 and I had quite a few what I’d call “step 1-focused“ questions - straight up identification questions on genetic diseases, metabolism disorders, immunodeficiency. It’s not going to hurt you to study all that stuff that‘s “harder” now because step 2 absolutely builds on step 1.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I was in you guys’ situation, I’d schedule a test date for whatever the last day before the pass/fail switch is, and I would study like crazy until then. If my practice tests at that time were below average, I wouldn’t take it - a pass would likely be better in those circumstances. But if you were significantly above average, it still may work in your favor - sure can’t imagine it would hurt you.

I just took step 2 and I had quite a few what I’d call “step 1-focused“ questions - straight up identification questions on genetic diseases, metabolism disorders, immunodeficiency. It’s not going to hurt you to study all that stuff that‘s “harder” now because step 2 absolutely builds on step 1.
thank you for the input!! I'm taking my UW2 tomorrow to decide if I want to push it off or not.