Take a W or a 2.6?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melotae

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore at UW. This quarter I started taking calculus based physics. Although the usual route for pre-health students at UW is to take algebra based physics, for my major it is recommended to take the calc based series. However, I didn't know that the calc based series is designed for engineering and physics students, so it is a very rigorous and fast paced class. Unfortunately with the other classes I am taking, I am not doing well in the class. Right now I am at about a 2.6-2.9 and am considering withdrawing from the class, since I'm doing well in the 3 other classes I'm taking.

Would it be better to withdraw from the class, which would result in a W on my transcript but not affect my science GPA (3.8), or to take a low grade and transfer to the alg based series starting next quarter & retake 1st quarter physics over the summer? I don't want a C to kill my GPA but I'm concerned schools will think that I withdrew to avoid a D or F. If I withdraw, I plan to take the first quarter of alg based physics starting next quarter, it won't put me behind schedule for my prereqs at all.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
As long as you don't have more than 1 or 2 W's or too many C's over the span of 4 years, you will be fine. If you don't get lowet than a C I dont think it matters which you choose to do. Optometry schools forgive a few C's here and there, just have a good reason when the time comes.
Hope that helps!

What is your major? At this point you should be talking to your advisor/department, not just a group of random people on a message board. If calculus based physics is recommended for your major, then there is probably a reason for that. This might be the kind of thing where you may have to just retake the class and seek some tutoring/assistance earlier in the semester next go-around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,
thanks for your advice. This is my first physics class so I'm having a rough time keeping up with the pace of the class.
I'm a biochem (BS) major. I talked to an adviser today and she said the calc based is recommended because it helps prepare for the p-chem I'll take later on. She said not to drop and just tough it out.

A word of advice: If you are having a rough time keeping up with physics right now, do whatever you can to find a better study technique. P-chem is orders of magnitude more difficult than introductory physics and the calculus in p-chem is incredibly difficult. Many of my classmates and I breezed by in calc-based physics and really struggled in p-chem.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice, I decided to drop the course. I was worried if I stay it'll result in me getting lower grades in ochem and bio as well. And yes I heard p-chem is a beast, hopefully I will be better at physics by then and I will review my calc.

How do you have a 2.6-2.9 overall GPA but a 3.8 science GPA? You must not have taken many science courses or getting a lot of Cs in your non-science courses. Either way, you are still only a sophomore and have plenty of opportunity to bring up your overall GPA. Spread out your courses, no need to rush into all the tough courses in one semester. Take 2 sciences and 1 math-based class per semester if you are struggling.

Also a W will be definitely questioned during your interview so you better have a prepared response for them. Try not to have more than 1 W or more than a couple of Cs.

pchem is not needed for optometry, take it if u want, but avoid it if u dont need it.

If this is too hard for you, I think you should take a step back and look at what major you should be choosing.

How do you have a 2.6-2.9 overall GPA but a 3.8 science GPA? You must not have taken many science courses or getting a lot of Cs in your non-science courses. Either way, you are still only a sophomore and have plenty of opportunity to bring up your overall GPA. Spread out your courses, no need to rush into all the tough courses in one semester. Take 2 sciences and 1 math-based class per semester if you are struggling.

pchem is not needed for optometry, take it if u want, but avoid it if u dont need it.

I believe a 2.6-2.9 in physics, not a 2.6 overall.

I agree with Loptometriste. If entry level physics is too hard for you (even if it is indeed calc based), then you should really talk with your advisor. When you take p-chem, you be taking more advanced courses and with the sheer difficulty of p-chem, you are going to have a tough time. If you are having a tough time right now, I can't imagine what p-chem will be like for you.

Now I am not trying to be mean, but if you truly are interested in optometry, you might want to think about switching majors to something else if you are struggling in an entry level physics class. You don't want to go about destroying your GPA. Have you thought about just plain bio or genetics?

Reactions: 1 user
I talked to my advisor today and she agreed that I didn't choose the best quarter to take physics based on the prof I had. But I agree with you p0intless, I think I overestimated myself and tried to take a load of classes I wasn't ready to do.
To clarify, I have a 3.8 science GPA and a 3.95 GPA overall. My predicted physics GPA for the class i was in was 2.6-2.9, according to my professor.
And ChocolateRun, that's funny you mention bio or genetics. I came into college set on Biophysiology as a major, took the first two intro classes to bio and decided that I actually really enjoyed chemistry more. I'm a double degreeing in Medical Anthro and Biochem, and have considered dropping the Biochem major, but I feel like the rigor of Biochem (especially since it is very competitive at my uni) compared to Med anthro would prepare me better for graduate school.
And yes, if I didn't have to take pchem for my major, I would stay far away from it. But I am excited for the other requirements for my major, and there's actually a pchem series just for biochemists that is designed to better fit the major than the regular pchem series designed for chem majors.