Take a year off before residency to do research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magree

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:

Is there anyone out there who took a year off between medschool and residency to do research or work some other medically related job? Can you please let me know what your experience was when you did go through the match? Did the year help or hurt? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

M-

Members don't see this ad.

Magree,

I have taken a year off between med school and residency to run my own software company. Hmm, well if you do something medically related or do research, you will be golden, especially if it's research in the field of medicine you expect to go into. I took time off to rotate in my chosen field just to solidify that this is what I wanted to do. I was worried that I wouldn't get many interviews because I was rather non-traditional...but truthfully that hasn't been the case. I have only recieved interviews and no rejections (I'm applying in anesthesia which just happens to be far more competitive than in previous years), and from extremely competitive programs (Hopkins, U of Chicago, U of M, UCSD, Stanford, etc.) so I don't think it puts you in a negative position. It does for transitional positions though.....I applied to 7 and I've only heard from two. There it would make a bigger difference because you have to recall these clinical skills that frankly you've lost. But...honestly...most med students forget more shizz than they learned fourth year, so...I think you'll pick it back up. So, overall...I say...go for it. Do the year of research and clear your head. My time off has allowed me to live an experience that I never thought in my life would be possible, and has also solidified my resolve to be a physician..for the right reasons and not the wrong ones. Hope that helps....

If I don't match anywhere...and am forced to scramble into the Bakersfield retirement anesthesia program with a transitional program in a leper colony in Africa...I'll be sure to inform you and hopefully that will allow you to re-adjust your expectations. Till then..let's hope the early response is the one that is maintained.

Originally posted by Magree:
•Hi:

Is there anyone out there who took a year off between medschool and residency to do research or work some other medically related job?
M-•

I know of one guy who decided to do derm during his 4th year. He ended up postponing the match to do the obligatory year of research to get into a good derm program.