take biochem at CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadyknick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I finished my bio degree and am applying to dental school right now.

I haven't taken biochem yet. Is it okay if I take it at a CC. I know some schools don't accept that but I literally took 50 other sciences credits at a 4 year university.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I finished my bio degree and am applying to dental school right now.

I haven't taken biochem yet. Is it okay if I take it at a CC. I know some schools don't accept that but I literally took 50 other sciences credits at a 4 year university.
I'd check the website of the schools you are applying to. If they don't have anything there, I'd try send them an email.

Members don't see this ad :)
my local one does
I would recommend that you check to see what it transfers to your University as. There's a good chance it won't be rated as the same class. The biochem that dental schools are talking is generally considered a senior level course taught by the chemistry department. I can't imagine that it's the same course. Make sure that you don't get screwed in the end by taking a course that doesn't fulfill the requirement.

I would just take a biochem class at a university. If there was one class that I'm glad I took before dental school it would be biochem. You'll see all this stuff later and you won't be nearly as overwhelmed. I couldn't imagine that a CC would go as indepth as a biochem course taken at a university would. Plus just save yourself the trouble of not having this requirement when applying.

Most schools don't really care about CC science classes but many draw the line at biochem. I can name several schools that require biochem at a university. Remember you can only really take upper level sciences at a university so anything at a cc might not be viewed as such. I took ochem at CC but will take biochem at a state uni

46 Dental schools require Biochem, some of those schools don't take CC's at all and most won't take CC for "upper" level classes. Take biochem at a 4 year school. Almost all dental schools care about CC credits to a point, most have a limit on how many they take and all want to see upper level classes in the same discipline taken at a 4 year college. http://www.brynmawr.edu/healthpro/documents/DentalSchool_Addional_Requirements2015.pdf

If you do end up taking it at a your local CC, which I don't think is a big deal since you already proved that you can handle getting good grades at a 4 year Uni. Make sure you get an A or whatever is the highest grade!!