Jan 4, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi I finished my bio degree and am applying to dental school right now.

I haven't taken biochem yet. Is it okay if I take it at a CC. I know some schools don't accept that but I literally took 50 other sciences credits at a 4 year university.

Jan 19, 2015
Hi I finished my bio degree and am applying to dental school right now.

I haven't taken biochem yet. Is it okay if I take it at a CC. I know some schools don't accept that but I literally took 50 other sciences credits at a 4 year university.
I'd check the website of the schools you are applying to. If they don't have anything there, I'd try send them an email.

About the Ads

Daneosaurus

D4
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Dental Student
my local one does
I would recommend that you check to see what it transfers to your University as. There's a good chance it won't be rated as the same class. The biochem that dental schools are talking is generally considered a senior level course taught by the chemistry department. I can't imagine that it's the same course. Make sure that you don't get screwed in the end by taking a course that doesn't fulfill the requirement.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
Aug 4, 2013
Status
I would just take a biochem class at a university. If there was one class that I'm glad I took before dental school it would be biochem. You'll see all this stuff later and you won't be nearly as overwhelmed. I couldn't imagine that a CC would go as indepth as a biochem course taken at a university would. Plus just save yourself the trouble of not having this requirement when applying.

BetaHelix

5+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Most schools don't really care about CC science classes but many draw the line at biochem. I can name several schools that require biochem at a university. Remember you can only really take upper level sciences at a university so anything at a cc might not be viewed as such. I took ochem at CC but will take biochem at a state uni

Nov 22, 2014
Status
Non-Student
46 Dental schools require Biochem, some of those schools don't take CC's at all and most won't take CC for "upper" level classes. Take biochem at a 4 year school. Almost all dental schools care about CC credits to a point, most have a limit on how many they take and all want to see upper level classes in the same discipline taken at a 4 year college. http://www.brynmawr.edu/healthpro/documents/DentalSchool_Addional_Requirements2015.pdf

Jan 7, 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
Status
Pre-Dental
If you do end up taking it at a your local CC, which I don't think is a big deal since you already proved that you can handle getting good grades at a 4 year Uni. Make sure you get an A or whatever is the highest grade!!

About the Ads