Take GRE for Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petershot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I really want to get in one of the top one-year post-bacc programs (for ex. BM, Goucher) and I was wondering if I should take the GRE hoping that it will improve my profile. However, it is also a big time commitment if my goal is to score very well.

Quick background on myself: I don't really have an SAT/ACT score (insert long story here). I studied finance and accounting, minored econ and psychology for undergrad and graduated with Summa cum Laude (3.8 GPA). Took my GMAT (decent score, not great) and did one-year business school (3.8 GPA). I've been working on Wall Street for the past 2 years and felt the calling, and now I'm considering switching to medicine.

I'm currently still working full time and volunteering at a hospital inpatient unit and also a charity every weekend. My plan is to apply for post-bacc programs late this year for 2016-2017 academic year. I would like to hear your advice if I should spend time on taking the GRE, since I'm lacking standardized test scores.

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

If it isn't required for the program, I wouldn't recommend taking it. You don't do well, it'll hurt you and if you do ok, it's still probably not a good use of your time or money.

Given your background, you could always call the program and ask if they think it would be necessary.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm a good chunk of programs describe acceptable circumstances in which the GRE may be taken. You have to look at the programs on a case-by-case basis. Understand though, that all a good score on the GRE will buy you is admittance to a post-bacc program, NOT med school.
Cheers

Hi Petershot, I applied and was accepted to several of the post-bacc programs without the GRE...I would say save the money if you can.

If it isn't required for the program, I wouldn't recommend taking it. You don't do well, it'll hurt you and if you do ok, it's still probably not a good use of your time or money.

Given your background, you could always call the program and ask if they think it would be necessary.

Thank you wholeheartedly for your advice. I called Goucher and BM and both of them require either SAT or GRE for the application.

Yup. There are a number that require SAT or GRE. So how bad do you need or want a formal PB? I mean they are nice; but do you really need the formal program? Probably not. I get that you want it more than need it. There are benefits to such programs.

When would you plan on taking the GRE?

Good luck whatever you decide. :)

Hi Petershot, I applied and was accepted to several of the post-bacc programs without the GRE...I would say save the money if you can.

If you don't mind could you say which schools you applied to and what your background/stats are? Just for clarity, you applied for career changer programs?

I'm hoping to get in one of the one-year post bac programs so that I can shave off 1 year from my timeline (potentially 2 years if I can take advantage of the linkage programs). I guess I have to take it some time this summer before I submit my apps for fall 2016 start.

Yup. There are a number that require SAT or GRE. So how bad do you need or want a formal PB? I mean they are nice; but do you really need the formal program? Probably not. I get that you want it more than need it. There are benefits to such programs.

When would you plan on taking the GRE?

Good luck whatever you decide. :)

'm hoping to get in one of the one-year post bac programs so that I can shave off 1 year from my timeline (potentially 2 years if I can take advantage of the linkage programs). I guess I have to take it some time this summer before I submit my apps for fall 2016 start.
Sounds good, easier said than done.
OP, I recommend that you do DIY PB instead, because I think you never been exposed to science course work. You still can finish Med school Pre-reqs in 2 years and get good grades. Most of those PB linkage programs are brutal, and it is not easy to maintain competitive sGPA, especially, if you're applying for MD school. weigh your options and move on.

Best of Luck.

I have similar questions. Is there a particular score that Post-Bacc's require? I haven't found any info on this. There is no minimum score and I am not very familiar with the GRE. I plan to take it in November as a trial run I guess and retake it in May or June of 2016.

You could always email the admissions and ask if they would take GMAT in lieu of GRE. Most graduate programs do

Edit: never mind, I see your above post where you called

Last edited:
I have similar questions. Is there a particular score that Post-Bacc's require? I haven't found any info on this. There is no minimum score and I am not very familiar with the GRE. I plan to take it in November as a trial run I guess and retake it in May or June of 2016.
I took it back in the day when they used the old scoring. A total of at least 300 is usually minimum. Google a conversion chart for the new GRE and what that would be now.

I didn't find it too hard. I took it without studying to get into a masters that I knew I would be accepted into at my alma mater and didn't study. It reminded me of the SAT for college kids. If you did well on that, you'll probably do decent on the GRE. (I ended up with like a 340- not great but as I said, I wasn't shooting for the stars). See how it goes in Nov.