Take loans now or take loans later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gabigirl21

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey ya'll. I find myself with a particularly complicated problem and figured it was time to get some input. I'm starting vet school this fall and need to figure out my loans. I was blessed to have had a fabulous scholarship to pay for my undergraduate education, so I'm currently debt free.

Situation: I will have access to about $70k for vet school (I KNOW this puts me at a happier financial advantage, but the money is because my father is soon passing away and this is his retirement...back off the "lucky" comments, I'd rather have my father).

Concern: A variety of people, my father included, have voiced concerns that there will be fewer and/or smaller amounts of federal loans offered to grad students in the future due to the fact that the US is trillions of dollars in debt and they might be cut. (FYI I was offered a Federal Ford Direct Loan, unsubsidized).


Questions:

1.) Is that seriously going to happen? It seems like such a fanciful idea to cut away opportunities for the future of America, but who knows these days? Moreover, if it happens, is it going to happen in the next four years?

2.) Let's say they start offering smaller loan amounts (which I obviously hope isn't the case). Should I take the large loan they're offering now when I know I can get it, and pay the later years of vet school?

OR

Should I just pay my way through and when I run out, take out loans, from the government or from banks?


Obviously, I'll be pragmatic and not take out more than I need and leave some money for emergency funds, etc. But the bottom line is: are these concerns valid, and what would you do in my shoes?

I've been reading up on federal loans and have found details about loan forgiveness, raising interest rates, and new unavailability of subsidized loans for grad students. However, I've found NOTHING on hints that the government is flat out cutting funds. I'm starting to wonder if this is just my father's conservative-minded paranoia...
 
Don't loans begin accruing interest from as soon as they are dispensed? Rhat would make me want to wait.
 
Yes, they do. And there is the option to pay the interest while in school or push off the payment of interest until after graduating (called Capitalizing, I believe). I haven't quite done the math on which combination of possibilities would save me the most money...it'd be quite the excel spreadsheet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, they do. And there is the option to pay the interest while in school or push off the payment of interest until after graduating (called Capitalizing, I believe). I haven't quite done the math on which combination of possibilities would save me the most money...it'd be quite the excel spreadsheet.

Taking out only what you need for the year will save you the most money. Then you won't be paying interest at all on money that is sitting in your bank account.

If you pay the interest each month, you will save more money in the long run than not paying anything while enrolled, because you are avoiding paying interest on the interest.

There is no way to know what the government will do, but the health professions are the last place they are going to take the money from, imo. We already have our own loan amounts and guidelines that are different from other graduate loans.

Finally, if there is a cut in funding, I think it will be phased in. They can't have all the pharmacy/medical/veterinary students drop out in the middle of their programs because funds suddenly disappeared.
 
Situation: I will have access to about $70k for vet school (I KNOW this puts me at a happier financial advantage, but the money is because my father is soon passing away and this is his retirement...back off the "lucky" comments, I'd rather have my father).

I'm sorry to hear about your father.

I actually have a similar situation that you do.

My father also passed away when I was in high school and left me with some money to pay for school. I have paid all my undergrad education with it and now I have some left for vet school but it's not enough to cover all 4 years upfront. Maybe at most a year and a half or so. Like you I would also give anything to have my father back.

Because of this I have been fortunate to not have to take out any loans for school so I do not know that much about them to be honest. I'm starting to do more research on them and deciding on what's the best way. I've also had some family members offer to write private loans for me and I would just pay them back once I graduate.