Take MCAT at home after 3 weeks at home?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zogoto

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a Kaplan MCAT class this summer at my school which ends on July 27. I am going to take the exam on Aug 15. I was thinking about going home for those last 3 weeks and pulling about 6-8 hours a day studying each of those days (which is the same as I plan to do over the rest of the summer). I don't know if I'll get distracted/lazy at home, and I don't know if a change of scenery is going to really throw me off and make me lose focus. What do you guys think? The MCAT is obviously very important, so I'm scared of risking it like this, but I really love home and if I don't go then I have to wait until Thanksgiving :( Has anyone had any experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

I did the bulk of my studying for the MCAT last year at home after graduation. Though I really didn't allow myself enough time to prepare, the time I did get at home was very productive. Coming from college where there are a million distractions, being at home was a much more relaxed pace. You really don't have anything better to do than study, and it's easier to deflect invitations to hang out if it's a 10 minute car ride away instead of down the hall or whatever.

I'd say going home would work out fine, but I suppose that's my own anectdotal evidence. Your parents/house could be very different from mine.

Agreed about the distractions at school, but a lot of premeds I know are studying for the MCAT this summer, so we'd all be at the library together and stuff.

relax
if you need to study 8hrs/day and you have 2 weeks to do it... you wont be worried about whats goin on around you.. the stress and pressure in itself to do well will make you buckle down and get work done