Take NBME CBSE (Step 1) without having taken pharmacology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omfs2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a dental student who's contemplating taking the CBSE after my first year for oral surgery residency. However I will not have taken pharmacology at that point. The mean for OMFS applicants was 55 (correlated to 165 on Step 1 and it appears our CBSE scale is different from what is used for medical school) for this year. Is it realistic to prepare for this exam (I took a rudimentary pharm course in undergrad using Katzung and plan to teach myself pharm from first aid) in 7 weeks and still score a 65 (correlated to 188 on Step 1), without having taken pharmacology?

I am really sorry if this question comes off as stupid but oral surgery residencies' requiring dental students to take the CBSE is a very recent change and there are not many threads offering information.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Digging up this old thread 'cause I'm curious about this too. The only summer we get off is between first and second year (I'm also a dental student). Pharm isn't until second year.