Take prerequisites in cc or university?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Justi'Lynn

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've finished my first year in a cc so far. I haven't taken any science classes so far just the other general requirements. I'm not transferring for another year, so should I start taking the prerequisites now while I'm here or wait until I transfer. Also, which year is recommended to take the MCAT?
 
General rule of thumb is to not take prerequisites at community college. If you can avoid it, don't take them until you transfer.

A lot of students opt to take the MCAT the Summer between their junior and senior years, as by then most have taken the coursework that you can expect to see (organic chem, physics, bio, gen chem, etc.).
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would go ahead and take either gen chem or gen bio there if you can. It'll save you time in completing your degree by having them done sooner rather than later. Also, more and more med schools are transitioning to accepting CC credit. Asking this question on SDN however, will net you a response similar to the first reply. People here don't believe in CC credit.
 
General rule of thumb is to not take prerequisites at community college. If you can avoid it, don't take them until you transfer.

It depends on your financial situation. The goal is usually to take prerequisites so you're able to spend less money on them than you would at a university.

Investigate the schools you're applying to for transfer, as the trickiest situation you'll find yourself in is what undergraduate university accepts what credit. This is also the most important part. Contrary to the absurdly popular belief, community college students do go on to medical school.
 
like.. 2 schools? turns out there are plenty of others.

The problem is that even the ones that accept them may view them as less than 4 year university credits. Its impossible to determine how much it will hurt you if at all and people have had all CC prereqs and got in. However its best to avoid the situation if possible. If its not possible for you then do what you have to and hope for the best. I emailed a school about it when I started my postbacc because I found it hard to get into some of the classes at my 4 year university as a non matriculated student.(Everyone else got to register first) Here is their exact response:
"
Thank you for your interest in Stony Brook University School of Medicine.



In response to your recent inquiry, the Committee on Admissions is looking for the most competitive applicants and all aspects of your application will be reviewed. We look at each application on its own merits. The Committee on Admissions looks very carefully at your academic record, MCAT score(s), clinical experience, research opportunities, extracurricular activities and community service, etc. You are not required to take the pre-requisite courses at a four year college or university, however, since the committee is looking for the most competitive applicants, it would probably be a good idea.



Please visit our website at: www.stonybrookmedicalcenter.org/som/admissions for further information.

If you have additional questions, please contact our office.



Best of luck in your future academic pursuits."
 
The problem is that even the ones that accept them may view them as less than 4 year university credits. Its impossible to determine how much it will hurt you if at all and people have had all CC prereqs and got in. However its best to avoid the situation if possible. If its not possible for you then do what you have to and hope for the best. I emailed a school about it when I started my postbacc because I found it hard to get into some of the classes at my 4 year university as a non matriculated student.(Everyone else got to register first) Here is their exact response:
"
Thank you for your interest in Stony Brook University School of Medicine.



In response to your recent inquiry, the Committee on Admissions is looking for the most competitive applicants and all aspects of your application will be reviewed. We look at each application on its own merits. The Committee on Admissions looks very carefully at your academic record, MCAT score(s), clinical experience, research opportunities, extracurricular activities and community service, etc. You are not required to take the pre-requisite courses at a four year college or university, however, since the committee is looking for the most competitive applicants, it would probably be a good idea.



Please visit our website at: www.stonybrookmedicalcenter.org/som/admissions for further information.

If you have additional questions, please contact our office.



Best of luck in your future academic pursuits."
Interesting, but n=1, and med schools are increasingly becoming accepting of cc's due to the huge rise in tuition costs across the country. Plus, waiting until junior year to begin med school prerequisites means that you'll finish, at the absolute earliest, at the end of your senior year, which essentially guarantees a gap year (which I'm happy to take, but a lot of other applicants would rather avoid). Plus, through searching a ridiculous number of threads on this topic, I've found that the consensus from adcoms seems to be that as long as you demonstrate your ability after transferring in a reasonable number of upper-division science courses, you have nothing to worry about.