I applied to my instate med school this year. I had an mcat (31) and gpa (3.85), average to good ecs. I thought all were good enough to get in, but I have been rejected. I took the computer mcat in Jan and got a 34. Next year, for the 2008 cycle, should I just apply early decision to my instate school and probably get in this time or take my shot and apply to a host of top 50 schools including maybe a top 10 school. Ideally, I would like to go out of state if I could. I have leadership in 3 organizations. I played for a traveling club sports team in college. I have shadowed a surgeon. I volunteered in a hospital and did an international medical mission trip. I also have non-clinical volunteering experience. Phi Beta Kappa. I am in an arts and humanities program also. During my year off I want to do something that I will enjoy, so I am thinking of volunteering overseas. Should I stay safe and apply ED or try my luck?