Take Step 2 without Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floridaorbust

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an OMS3 who didn't take Step 1, COMLEX was in 560s. I (stupidly) didn't think I needed it but my plans have changed and I'm hoping to move to an area where there are far more "ACGME" programs (South Florida). I plan to apply for IM.

I didn't do stellar in pre-clinical classes but managed to pass everything. Class rank is no bueno. But I do well on rotations. I have taken COMATs for Pediatrics, FM, Surgery, Psych and OB/GYN and scored 115+ on all of them. I don't know if this is worth anything but my IM chair said that it would correlate to a good score on Step 2 and I should take it along with COMLEX 2.

Has anyone been successful with this approach? Is it worth trying? It's a lot of money and I don't want to spend it unless it's actually helpful.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have personally never heard about someone taking step 2 instead of step 1 and it being beneficial for them. I can imagine it might be ok for EM, and maybe it is a great choice, I just haven't heard.

Step 1 + 2 > Step 1 only > Step 2 only > COMLEX only

That's generally the rule for most programs, assuming you'll do well on the USMLE. Be sure to take plenty of NBMEs for Step 2 before taking it.

Really the best thing you should do is contact programs you're interested in and ask them directly. If enough suggest that you take it, then go for it. $600 is a lot, but it's not really a lot in the grand scheme of things. You're going to spend way more on apps and interviews trying to get a good residency program afterall.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you take USMLE step 2 without having passed USMLE step 1? I was under the impression that you had to take them in order to progress because I heard that you couldn't take USMLE step 3 without step 2 CK and step 2 CS under your belt.

Can you take USMLE step 2 without having passed USMLE step 1? I was under the impression that you had to take them in order to progress because I heard that you couldn't take USMLE step 3 without step 2 CK and step 2 CS under your belt.

That's the case for Step 3, you have to take all previous exams in the series before taking Step 3. You can take Step 2 CK prior to or without taking Step 1.

One of the 4th year DOs took Step 2 CK without taking Step 1. She took COMLEX 1, then decided to take both Step 2 and COMLEX 2 during her clinical years to make her residency application more competitive.

http://www.franishtheblog.com/

I know of of 2 DO grads who only took COMLEX 1, then took Step 2 along with COMLEX 2 when they decided to apply allopathic.
They both matched allopathic (one ER, one IM). (But I couldn't tell you if Step 2 contributed to them getting their spots or not.)

Reactions: 1 users
K
I'm an OMS3 who didn't take Step 1, COMLEX was in 560s. I (stupidly) didn't think I needed it but my plans have changed and I'm hoping to move to an area where there are far more "ACGME" programs (South Florida). I plan to apply for IM.

I didn't do stellar in pre-clinical classes but managed to pass everything. Class rank is no bueno. But I do well on rotations. I have taken COMATs for Pediatrics, FM, Surgery, Psych and OB/GYN and scored 115+ on all of them. I don't know if this is worth anything but my IM chair said that it would correlate to a good score on Step 2 and I should take it along with COMLEX 2.

Has anyone been successful with this approach? Is it worth trying? It's a lot of money and I don't want to spend it unless it's actually helpful.

Thanks!

I took this approach. Scored similarly on comlex. Should have taken step 1 but didnt cause i thought i would fail lol. Ended up doing decent on step 2. Scored me interviews at several university programs with specific remarks by PD/APD that it helps to have any usmle score to compare against MD students.

You can take step 2 without taking step 1 just for clarification. and no DO is going to take usmle 3 lol. Not required for certification and does not help significantly for fellowships.

Can you take Step 2 CK without the CS portion? I scored fairly low on my Step 1 and would like to take Step 2 to hopefully redeem myself, but am only interested in taking the CK portion and now the CS portion since its pass/fail same as lvl 2

Can you take Step 2 CK without the CS portion? I scored fairly low on my Step 1 and would like to take Step 2 to hopefully redeem myself, but am only interested in taking the CK portion and now the CS portion since its pass/fail same as lvl 2

Yes, you can take CK without taking CS. No DO student should ever sign up for/take the CS. That will be a waste of $1200.

K

I took this approach. Scored similarly on comlex. Should have taken step 1 but didnt cause i thought i would fail lol. Ended up doing decent on step 2. Scored me interviews at several university programs with specific remarks by PD/APD that it helps to have any usmle score to compare against MD students.

You can take step 2 without taking step 1 just for clarification. and no DO is going to take usmle 3 lol. Not required for certification and does not help significantly for fellowships.

Hi,

I'm aware that your post is from Feb, and you may no longer be around. It might be helpful for future lurkers to know what kind of Step2 score range you achieved and what kind of programs you applied to if you're willing to provide that info (IM based on your hx, but I'm not going to assume).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm aware that your post is from Feb, and you may no longer be around. It might be helpful for future lurkers to know what kind of Step2 score range you achieved and what kind of programs you applied to if you're willing to provide that info (IM based on your hx, but I'm not going to assume).

Thanks.

Still here. I scored low 230s so average. Mid tier university programs and below. Very strong community programs too. I went with the former.

*bump*

I did not take Step 1, poor decision from my part. I don't think I have the time to prepare for it during rotations. Anyone else recommend taking Step 2 CK without a Step 1? Do PDs even care for a step 2 score without a step 1?

*bump*

I did not take Step 1, poor decision from my part. I don't think I have the time to prepare for it during rotations. Anyone else recommend taking Step 2 CK without a Step 1? Do PDs even care for a step 2 score without a step 1?

If you scored well and you're on months where you have time, then just take step 1. If not, then take step 2.

If you scored well and you're on months where you have time, then just take step 1. If not, then take step 2.

I have an average comlex but I am not sure what I want to specialize in. My third year schedule wouldn't allow me to prepare adequately for Step 1. Have you heard of anyone taking just Step 2 ? Also I am not sure how PDs are going to look at this though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have an average comlex but I am not sure what I want to specialize in. My third year schedule wouldn't allow me to prepare adequately for Step 1. Have you heard of anyone taking just Step 2 ? Also I am not sure how PDs are going to look at this though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’ve heard of DOs only taking step 2 CK and still matching. It depends on the program.

*bump*

My post above (also quoted below) still stands as far as what was experienced by those I know.

Step 1 + 2 > Step 1 only > Step 2 only > COMLEX only

That's generally the rule for most programs, assuming you'll do well on the USMLE. Be sure to take plenty of NBMEs for Step 2 before taking it.

Really the best thing you should do is contact programs you're interested in and ask them directly. If enough suggest that you take it, then go for it. $600 is a lot, but it's not really a lot in the grand scheme of things. You're going to spend way more on apps and interviews trying to get a good residency program afterall.