Take the ConCert early or wait...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dchristismi

Gin and Tonic
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking down the barrel of the end of my board certification. It expires in 2019. Pull the trigger early?

I know White Coat did it last year. Anyone else want to chime in?

Members don't see this ad.

I keep putting it off...for no really good reason.

I'm in the same situation. Mine expires in 2019. My current plan is to take it in September so I will have all of August to study. I'd rather take it early, so I have ample time to re-take it if necessarily. Part of me wants to hold out as long as possible, due to the long-shot odds of ABEM beccoming rational, and ditching the stupid MOC requirements.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I always recert the last minute but risky. My thought is if I take it a year early, then I assume that mean the certification clock starts the year I took it?

Like ACLS? why take it 3 months early when I can take it the last minute and get another full 2 yrs?

I always recert the last minute but risky. My thought is if I take it a year early, then I assume that mean the certification clock starts the year I took it?

Like ACLS? why take it 3 months early when I can take it the last minute and get another full 2 yrs?

Except that's not how it works. Taking the test early doesn't restart the clock early. Not really any downside to doing it other than forking over some money sooner.

So if I took it a yr earlier, my next recert would be the same?

So if I took it a yr earlier, my next recert would be the same?

Yes, your recertification date will be the same, every ten years, regardless of when you pass the test.

Same here. 2019 recert. I’m probably going to take it a year early this year, and not study at all. My thought is, if I fail it, I’m just out the money. But at least I didn’t spend weeks studying for something that I didn’t really have to study for. If I was taking it in 2019 without a security blanket, I would definitely study.

I really wish I had taken it early, but I wasn't aware one could. So. Much. Stress.

Same here. 2019 recert. I’m probably going to take it a year early this year, and not study at all. My thought is, if I fail it, I’m just out the money. But at least I didn’t spend weeks studying for something that I didn’t really have to study for. If I was taking it in 2019 without a security blanket, I would definitely study.

I like this approach. In the time it would take me to seriously study, I could probably easily work a couple of more shifts, and earn $3-$5K. Enough to more than cover the cost of the test, or taking it again.

What happens if one fails? Will they extend certification for a year? I feel ridiculous for not having taken it early.

What happens if one fails? Will they extend certification for a year? I feel ridiculous for not having taken it early.

I believe there are undisclosed pathways to recertification if this happens but I don't know any specifics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, there was some communique about adding an additional spring test session, so there's a second backup now, if I understood correctly.

I really like the idea of minimally studying just to see. Gamer has a great point - but a significant advantage due to his academic position, I would venture. I mean, I go to conferences and read journals and look stuff up all the time, but it's not quite the same as getting residency conferences shoved down your throat twice a week.

I was thinking I'd do Rosh but understanding that I wouldn't get through nearly all of it because well, I know me. WCI had a nice review on his website of question bank options. (cough, cough, White Coat...pop in and give us your opinion please) I did the AAEM course for the orals, but this feels more like a question-bank oriented exam, not a learn-how-to-play-the-game exam.

Guess that means I'm in for September. Sigh.

You're plenty smart D. You'll do fine. If not, drinks on me at the review course of your choosing. It's my turn this time.

I have one,maybe 2 more recerts. I did my last one without much studying. But will take it earlier now that I know it doesn't matter.

If you are going to do a question bank as your means of studying (and honestly, the data on it seems to indicate that's probably the most effective way to prepare) I would suggest ROSH or PEER. Personally I really like ROSH. On the other hand, I stand by my plans of taking it blind, I would venture to say most will pass with zero preparation, with the backup of taking it the following year and studying if need be. Sure, you may fail, and you'd be out say 1500 bucks (or whatever it costs). But thats like a shift or less for most of us. I'd venture to guess most people are going to study far more than a single shift. So if you spend lets say 30 hours doing questions over several months, or maybe even more, then you would have spent like $6000 worth of earning potential time lost to studying. Financially, it makes more sense to not prepare and risk failure then spend too much time studying for something you'll probably pass anyways. Now granted, if you are in your last year of eligibility, I wouldn't do that. But if you have a backup, that'll be the strategy I take.

If you are going to do a question bank as your means of studying (and honestly, the data on it seems to indicate that's probably the most effective way to prepare) I would suggest ROSH or PEER. Personally I really like ROSH. On the other hand, I stand by my plans of taking it blind, I would venture to say most will pass with zero preparation, with the backup of taking it the following year and studying if need be. Sure, you may fail, and you'd be out say 1500 bucks (or whatever it costs). But thats like a shift or less for most of us. I'd venture to guess most people are going to study far more than a single shift. So if you spend lets say 30 hours doing questions over several months, or maybe even more, then you would have spent like $6000 worth of earning potential time lost to studying. Financially, it makes more sense to not prepare and risk failure then spend too much time studying for something you'll probably pass anyways. Now granted, if you are in your last year of eligibility, I wouldn't do that. But if you have a backup, that'll be the strategy I take.

I can't believe I waited until my last year. So stupid. I really hope that I pass, and that there is some way to extend if I don't. Ugh. I feel like all this came a year too late for me!

Did anyone else just get an email from ABEM concerning switching the re-certification format (ConCert vs MyEMCert)?
Thoughts?
HH

Did anyone else just get an email from ABEM concerning switching the re-certification format (ConCert vs MyEMCert)?
Thoughts?
HH
I got it early in the day. When asked for comments, I said that MOC doesn't seem to add anything, and it appears to be a money grab.

I got it early in the day. When asked for comments, I said that MOC doesn't seem to add anything, and it appears to be a money grab.

I said it was weird to be BC one day and potentially not the the next, and that it made no sense.

At least they aren't doing what the AAP does if you don't continue MOC.

I’m sure the new way will be an even bigger money grab - they’ll get you an annual installments...

I think the idea of the new way is to have two options, so you can do either option. LLSA exams are meant to test the newer big literature. The new board format is testing the core content of EM, but in bite sized chunks based on only a few topics. The big advantage that I see it is, you don't have to go to a testing center, the exam is taken at home. You retake only the content sections you fail. If you were to study, you only have to study a few things (cardio and pulm for example) before taking the section.

They actually say that the tests are designed for you to not study and just take them. The goal is to minimize your time preparing for something you probably already can pass. You can retake each section up to 7 times, so there should be no point studying going into the first time you take a block.

Overall, I'm a huge fan of this type of board format. I'm without a doubt switching to this new format after I recert. But if people want to stick to the every ten year cycle, they can as far as I know. I don't think this is replacing the old re-certification, but rather giving you a second option.