Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Take the MCAT early?

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by incubate6times, Mar 20, 2004.

1. incubate6times

incubate6times Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think that if I take the MCAT in August before my junior year it will allow me more time to study with the summer. Would you recommend this versus taking it in the spring? I will have taken a year of inorganic, a year of organic, a year of physics, calculus, bio and biochem by then.

If anyone has any experience with taking the MCAT before the spring of junior year, I would be grateful if you shared your experience.

Thanks.

2. box29

box29 Keep on keepin' on Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think it depends on other things...would you be using these scores to apply for this year...first year entering Fall of 2005? If it is, then you may be at a disadvantage since your scores wouldn't be released until mid-October. If they are high and your application is pretty much complete and thorough, then you may have a chance. I've known people who have sent their primaries and secondaries in really late (very near the deadlines) and have gotten in...but then again, it was only 2 people.

Do you feel ready for the test? ...like anyone is really ready for the test right...who knows? If you feel confident you can do well then go for it but I wouldn't take the test the first time as a dry run...Hopefully other people can answer your question better than I. Good luck in your decision!

3. shock827

shock827 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Obviously he isn't going to apply for 2005 since he is taking it early. I would say go for it if you can dedicate your summer to it effectively. My roommate took it before his jr. year and did alright. He wasn't that happy with his score and took it again in April and improved 2 points though.

4. incubate6times

incubate6times Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would be taking it in August of 2005, then applying during the 2006-2007 cycle (I think that's what it's called). I am not sure how pure my dedication to prepare for the exam will be, but it will be better than taking it in the spring. I guess I should probably just check out the mcat board to get some tips.

5. I was pretty much in the exact same situation when I took the MCAT (August after sophomore year). I liked it because I had time to take a 9-week prep course (Kaplan), and could study for it without any distractions every day. I don't know how I would have done it during April, in the middle of college classes.