Take the money and run?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mutterkuchen

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted some opinions. I have applied to 25 schools this cycle. Most of my secondaries are done, but I do have ones from Pitt and Hopkins still waiting for me. Stats: GPA=3.75, Science 3.6, and MCAT 27 (8,9,10). Graduated from podunk state university, and am finishing a master's (non science) at Wash U right now.

My ECs are solid, but I haven't cured cancer or anything.

Are Pitt and Hopkins worth my time? Are they going to cash my check and send me the thin envelope? Or do I have a chance at these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

probably not Wash U...there big on #s. My friend who went to JHU undergrad 3.95, 35 ECs research, did not get an interview at JHU and was waitlisted at Wash U.
So based on these numbers...your call. (If you have the money to burn, then do it knowing you at least tried.

I found it amusing when I got a postcard from Johns Hopkins urging me to finish my secondary and send that check right in! I have half a mind to call the admissions office and ask them point blank if they will do more with it than snip open a hole big enough to suck out my check...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sending in all secondaries. My reason for applying to so many schools is that I wanted options. I've already invested some money through AMCAS, so what's a little more? I would rather pay for my secondary & get a thin envelope the very next day than just wonder what could have been...

Numbers-wise, you are a little low. Pittsburgh accepts 9% of their applicants; Hopkins, 5.6%. Unless you think you've got something in your application to set you apart from the people with higher numbers, I'd save my money. But, if an extra $150 or so isn't that big of a deal (and it might not be, especially if you consider the long term) then go ahead and take the chance. It's really your call...

Please refer to the "Hopkins reject" thread...and then go sit down and fill out the dang secondary! One thing is for absolute sure-you WON't get in if you don't try.

Just date the check for December, then if they try to cash it or even if they do cash it, you can always go back and say,"Look at the date." I don't even know if that would work.

Yes, you have a shot with Pitt!

Although, with those stats, you probably don't have a shot at Hopkins (unless you're a minority).

But if you're not going to be starving and out on the streets, then you could always waste your money for kicks and grins and avoiding, years from now, the regret of not sending it in.

Originally posted by JBJ
Just wanted some opinions. I have applied to 25 schools this cycle. Most of my secondaries are done, but I do have ones from Pitt and Hopkins still waiting for me. Stats: GPA=3.75, Science 3.6, and MCAT 27 (8,9,10). Graduated from podunk state university, and am finishing a master's (non science) at Wash U right now.

My ECs are solid, but I haven't cured cancer or anything.

Are Pitt and Hopkins worth my time? Are they going to cash my check and send me the thin envelope? Or do I have a chance at these schools?

Thanks for the opinions. My head tells me to skip them, that it is just a waste of money. But my heart says give it a shot, you never know.

Heart is going to win. I will suck it up and do them in the next day or so.