Step II Take time off to study for step 2

Started by afterwords
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

afterwords

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I take a month off to study for Step 2? Did above average on Step 1 but less than 230. Year 3: honored a couple of shelfs, and came close in couple others. Applying for, most likely, a primary care residency i.e. medicine, med-peds or peds, and will like to go to a university program.

Thank you!
 
I think most people go with taking 2 weeks off where you do nothing but study for the CK. Others will take 3-4 weeks when on a cushy elective where they'll have lots of time to study in the afternoon and weekends (derm, path, rads, etc).
 
I think most people go with taking 2 weeks off where you do nothing but study for the CK. Others will take 3-4 weeks when on a cushy elective where they'll have lots of time to study in the afternoon and weekends (derm, path, rads, etc).

I've got CK scheduled for 3 weeks from now... and I'm in the middle of Psych. I'd like to reschedule for next month when I have free time, but it's already at the end of my 3 month block and I've already paid $50 to push it off 3 months.

Does anyone know if I can pay another $50 and postpone it one more time? I read that I could only do it once... but I'm not sure if that was referring to postponing it only for the adjacent 3 month block (instead of postponing it 6 months).

Thanks
 
I've got CK scheduled for 3 weeks from now... and I'm in the middle of Psych. I'd like to reschedule for next month when I have free time, but it's already at the end of my 3 month block and I've already paid $50 to push it off 3 months.

Does anyone know if I can pay another $50 and postpone it one more time? I read that I could only do it once... but I'm not sure if that was referring to postponing it only for the adjacent 3 month block (instead of postponing it 6 months).

Thanks

Nope. Unfortunately the money making machine that NBME is, wants more money. So you will have to shell out another $490 if you have already extended it once

e.g if you originally registered for dec-feb and paid $50 to extend it once to may (march-may) and now you want to extend 3 more months (until aug) then no you cannot pay $50 and do it. You will have to do the registration thing all over again i.e go to NBME and start a new application.

Good luck