Take Year Off or Caribbean School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philq

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If this question has been asked before, I apologize in advance.

I was wondering if I could get some advice about whether to attend a Caribbean school or take a year off to reapply to a US school. I have already gotten an interview with Ross and am still awaiting responses from about 7 US schools I've applied to, including SGU. If I get accepted into Ross and no US schools, should I retake my MCAT for a 3rd time and reapply again to US schools next year or should I just attend Ross? I want the best route to have a good chance of placing into a US residency.

My stats are:
GPA (3.53 BCPM, 3.65 AO, 3.58 total), Cornell U. undergrad
MCAT (1st time: 22O: V9, 7PS, 6BS) (2nd time: 25R: V6, 9PS, 10BS)*
*I was very unlucky to have my verbal drop when both my PS and BS increased after months of studying these two areas

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you applied to osteopathic schools?

I haven't applied to any osteopathic schools because I pretty much have my mind set on getting an MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then its really up to you. Don't let our opinions affect your decision making process. Just know that there are some pretty good Allopathic schools in the Caribbean.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply. But let's say that I was able to raise up my MCAT scores the third time around to about a 30 during my year off. Would this be enough to get me into a US school when I reapply? Or would these chances be worst than going to Ross right away and risk having some difficulties placing into residencies?

I know the opinions of this forum shouldn't affect my decisions but it would help me out a lot if I could get some advice leaning towards one side. Thanks!

The only thing thats keeping you back is your MCAT. Study your ass off, take classes, and try to get to 30. My advice is to just wait.

Always take time off if it might give you access to a US school.

I haven't applied to any osteopathic schools because I pretty much have my mind set on getting an MD.
Unless you retake the MCAT you have not chance at MD schools with a 25.

28 maybe 30 yes

25 for DO schools maybe since your GPA is good

but lets be honest you need to take time and restudy the MCAT this year and retake it and attend a US school, it's the only thing holding you back.

honestly, even with a 30 I don't think you'd get into a US allopathic school. For one, the average MCAT for most US allo. is higher 30, and the gpa is a good bit higher than yours. For two, you gpa is low, especially the science gpa (for US allopathic). Third, taking the MCAT three times is a serious red flag. You do know it shows that, right? DO is really a good way to go, but if you want an MD I would go caribbean. You will get in and you will become an MD that can practice in the US. If your not sure you can commit to this just take a year off. Trying again never hurts (a little financially), plus you can really think about your goals. Have you considered an SMP program? Tulane has a great one with a 90% acceptance rate to medical school afterward. good luck!

honestly, even with a 30 I don't think you'd get into a US allopathic school. For one, the average MCAT for most US allo. is higher 30, and the gpa is a good bit higher than yours. For two, you gpa is low, especially the science gpa (for US allopathic). Third, taking the MCAT three times is a serious red flag. You do know it shows that, right? DO is really a good way to go, but if you want an MD I would go caribbean. You will get in and you will become an MD that can practice in the US. If your not sure you can commit to this just take a year off. Trying again never hurts (a little financially), plus you can really think about your goals. Have you considered an SMP program? Tulane has a great one with a 90% acceptance rate to medical school afterward. good luck!

If he waits a year, while taking a few undergrad courses as well, he won't need an SMP to get in, especially if he has a state school. SMP is too dangerous.

If he waits a year, while taking a few undergrad courses as well, he won't need an SMP to get in, especially if he has a state school. SMP is too dangerous.

I guess it just depends. My two state schools would not accept a student with a 25 mcat and 3.5 science gpa. Even if the mcat is improved, 3 times is too many for them. I know because I have talked to them personally. Plus, with two scores similar, what are the chances of a five point or more improvement? He/she said he/she studied hard the second time, and didn't improve that much. Maybe other state schools are easier to get into. I know SMP is dangerous, but if you cut it in an SMP, you might not be able to cut it in medical school either.

but if you cut it in an SMP, you might not be able to cut it in medical school either.

That's just not true. If you get a 2.7 in medical school, you'll be a doctor. If you get a 2.7 in SMP, you won't ever be a doctor.

That's just not true. If you get a 2.7 in medical school, you'll be a doctor. If you get a 2.7 in SMP, you won't ever be a doctor.

true. I understand that. An SMP is designed for good student who for some reason didn't do their best. Who wants to graduate medical school with a 2.7 anyway? I personally think if this specific person wants an MD degree from a US allopathic school this might be the best bet. A 3.5 and 25 just doesn't cut it. Bottom line. It all depends on whether or not they believe in themselves and think they can succeed with the program. It isn't for the people who are unsure about themselves. He/she graduated from Cornell, so I would think they can.

Members don't see this ad :)
true. I understand that. An SMP is designed for good student who for some reason didn't do their best. Who wants to graduate medical school with a 2.7 anyway?

Well, its on a curve, so many people are graduating with a 2.7, and lower. :)

true. I understand that. An SMP is designed for good student who for some reason didn't do their best. Who wants to graduate medical school with a 2.7 anyway? I personally think if this specific person wants an MD degree from a US allopathic school this might be the best bet. A 3.5 and 25 just doesn't cut it. Bottom line. It all depends on whether or not they believe in themselves and think they can succeed with the program. It isn't for the people who are unsure about themselves. He/she graduated from Cornell, so I would think they can.

GPA's are meaningless in Medical school, USMLE is all that matters. AMSA is working on a PASS/FAIL system for all medical schools.

When interviewed for Residency all they care about is Step scores and what you did in clinicals.

GPA's are meaningless in Medical school, USMLE is all that matters. AMSA is working on a PASS/FAIL system for all medical schools.

When interviewed for Residency all they care about is Step scores and what you did in clinicals.

I just don't like not doing my best anymore. I did that for too long. I personally wouldn't be happy with a 2.7. Everybody has different personal goals.

I just don't like not doing my best anymore. I did that for too long. I personally wouldn't be happy with a 2.7. Everybody has different personal goals.

Generally speaking, if you know the material necessary to do well on the USMLE, then you should have high marks in the basic sciences.

Well, its on a curve, so many people are graduating with a 2.7, and lower. :)

I know you can graduate with a 2.7. I just hope to do better, that's all. It's my own personal goal. Not everybody aims high.:)

I know you can graduate with a 2.7. I just hope to do better, that's all. It's my own personal goal. Not everybody aims high.:)

Says the man with a 3.02 GPA...lol:laugh::smuggrin:

If you read my last post you would see that I haven't always tried my best. That is why I have made I promise to myself that I won't do that again. I have a 4.0 post bacc (not included in my gpa). I don't think a 2.7 is good and I don't think my 3.02 is good. That's why I want to do better in medical school. I don't understand why you would "laugh out loud" at my gpa. I'm just trying to aim high from here on out. Is that so funny?

PPS: What were your stats going into medical school? If your in caribbean school ( and based on your post I'm sure you are) them I'm sure they weren't much higher. I and know my MCAT rocked yours!!!!

Try your level best to ace the MCAT.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I guess I will just try getting into a Caribbean school and if that fails, I'll take the year off to reapply.

Yes, I admit that my MCAT scores are low but I wish my GPA would count for something...Cornell is a tough institution to get a high GPA, especially one in the sciences. I wish that med schools would take that into consideration cuz I've worked my ass off the past 3 years for a 3.5 and it's not fair that a single criteria such as low standardized test scores will prevent me from getting into a med school.

Good luck on everything, philq, dont loose hope. Keep on marching. :thumbup:

HUCKAAA got deleted? WHat???? The posts are now by Guest?????

Have you though of a post bacc program instead of just taking a year off? I think that's your best bet if you want to go to an MD school in the states. If not, you might end up still going Caribbean after the year off. I recently talked to a very smart friend of mine who is in his first year of medical school at a really good school (he was in one of those programs that promises you a spot out of highschool so long as you maintain a certain gpa as an undergrad) and he said nobody really understands the art of getting into medical school. So who knows, you can try, but I'd still apply both ways.

Have you though of a post bacc program instead of just taking a year off?

WHY? what is a Post bac really going to do?

My stats are:
*I was very unlucky to have my verbal drop when both my PS and BS increased after months of studying these two areas

The problem is not the GPA in the least its the MCAT.:hardy:

Actually, the gpa is a problem. I know many people with a 3.5/3.6 who do not get into medical school (and they have 30+ MCAT). Medical school is extremely competitive. Even a 3.8+ won't get you in some places. It also depends on where you live. Also, many post-bacc programs have an mcat prep courses included. Plus, if you go to one at a medical school (SMP program, another option as well) and do well, you are almost assured a spot with them. You must do well, though.

That's why there are interviews. Some people do not belong in medical school, not matter the GPA.

Actually, the gpa is a problem. I know many people with a 3.5/3.6 who do not get into medical school (and they have 30+ MCAT). Medical school is extremely competitive. Even a 3.8+ won't get you in some places. It also depends on where you live. Also, many post-bacc programs have an mcat prep courses included. Plus, if you go to one at a medical school (SMP program, another option as well) and do well, you are almost assured a spot with them. You must do well, though.

Lets be honest, they do not get in because they suck at the interview......

Some people are interviewed and they did not do everything they were supposed to like Volunteering, volunteering for instance is more then 8 or 10 hours and Oh I did it, its more like 200 to 400 hours worth and I enjoyed it.

Too many think getting accepted to medical school is just a Check off list, ADCOM's do not want these boring "I just want to make Money" people.

I know of people getting accepted this year with 3.3 GPA's so its a lot more then the GPA, and a 3.5 is the average of those getting accepted so its more then enough.

This person should work on the other things for the app.

Lets be honest, they do not get in because they suck at the interview......

Some people are interviewed and they did not do everything they were supposed to like Volunteering, volunteering for instance is more then 8 or 10 hours and Oh I did it, its more like 200 to 400 hours worth and I enjoyed it.

Too many think getting accepted to medical school is just a Check off list, ADCOM's do not want these boring "I just want to make Money" people.

I know of people getting accepted this year with 3.3 GPA's so its a lot more then the GPA, and a 3.5 is the average of those getting accepted so its more then enough.

This person should work on the other things for the app.

Just offering my $.02. I was talking about rejection pre-interview. I live in Alabama and the two state school (UAB and South Alabama) average much higher than 3.5. You won't get an interview with a 3.5. It's just reality here. I do agree that the MCAT is his/her weakest point. That needs to be improved, obviously. But I really think the gpa does too. My advice to him/her, don't just take a year off. At least take some more courses and make all A's. It's not a lost cause, but with a 3.5 you are at the bottom of the list. Good luck and I'm sure you will be a great doctor, no matter where you get your degree!

i agree with improving the MCAT and also the GPA can be 3.5 especially if you are attending a top university which is taken into account. bottom line is some ppl with even 3.7-3.8 GPAs and 30+ MCATs do not get accepted to US med schools because at the interview the admissions people do not want to be talking to a "WALL" with stats but an actual person with some life experience, extracurriculars, research, interesting volunteering, etc....you gotta know how to sell urself so its not only about "book smarts" but a lil bit of "street smarts"

i agree with improving the MCAT and also the GPA can be 3.5 especially if you are attending a top university which is taken into account. bottom line is some ppl with even 3.7-3.8 GPAs and 30+ MCATs do not get accepted to US med schools because at the interview the admissions people do not want to be talking to a "WALL" with stats but an actual person with some life experience, extracurriculars, research, interesting volunteering, etc....you gotta know how to sell urself so its not only about "book smarts" but a lil bit of "street smarts"

What the admission people actually told me was that going to a "top university" they wanted to see an even higher gpa. These schools are known for gpa inflation (like masters, that's why schools don't care so much about their grades). So a 3.5 at Cornell is actually worse than a 3.5 elsewhere. Just my personal experience. I'm really not trying to make this person discouraged. All things are possible. All I know is I have a 3.56 (science and overall-science slightly higher) with a 33N, and I'm not wasting the money on US allopathic. I've talked to them personally and it just wont' happen. Hey, here's an idea, why doesn't the poster do the same? Admissions committees are usually very helpful and polite! Their advice is also much better than anybody on SDN.

Just offering my $.02. I was talking about rejection pre-interview. I live in Alabama and the two state school (UAB and South Alabama) average much higher than 3.5. You won't get an interview with a 3.5. It's just reality here. I do agree that the MCAT is his/her weakest point. That needs to be improved, obviously. But I really think the gpa does too. My advice to him/her, don't just take a year off. At least take some more courses and make all A's. It's not a lost cause, but with a 3.5 you are at the bottom of the list. Good luck and I'm sure you will be a great doctor, no matter where you get your degree!
I'm not trying to dis you but the plain fact is 3.5 is good enough and you do not just apply to in state schools, when you apply to US medical Schools in the 21st century you apply to at least 10 or more to get into 1. Thats the plain facts.

Too many of you young people are unable to to see the bigger picture and are unwilling to think outside the box, thats why so many do not get accepted, you have to be willing to move thousands of miles to achive this goal.

I have done this and succeeded. (But what do I know?)

I agree with oldpro here. Your (the OP's) GPA is fine if you apply broadly and early. The main issue is the MCAT, which is well below average for US allopathic medical schools, especially with a 6 in verbal. Your MCAT is a huge red flag and it is what you need to work on. Raising your GPA is of course going to be beneficial, but it won't solve your problem: the low MCAT score. You will get considerably more mileage out of fixing your MCAT score, if you choose to wait it out for another year. That's my 2 cents.

If this question has been asked before, I apologize in advance.

I was wondering if I could get some advice about whether to attend a Caribbean school or take a year off to reapply to a US school. I have already gotten an interview with Ross and am still awaiting responses from about 7 US schools I've applied to, including SGU. If I get accepted into Ross and no US schools, should I retake my MCAT for a 3rd time and reapply again to US schools next year or should I just attend Ross? I want the best route to have a good chance of placing into a US residency.

My stats are:

Thanks.

If you sincerely think you can raise your verbal to at least 9, or above, without compromising your other sections then I say wait. You've scored a 9 before, so it's possible. Heck, if you can, see if you can get a 30+ overall. Otherwise, go for the Caribbean medical school. It'll get you there. I think it's clear that the US medical route is going to be your most secure route, but there's nothing wrong with attending a Caribbean medical school, if it's what's going to give you a shot at becoming a physician.

I can't tell you what your best choice is going to be. That you need to decide for yourself. After all, you know yourself much better than any of us can. I can only tell you that I'd probably work real hard to ensure that I could raise my verbal without compromising the other sections and that I'd work towards getting a 30+, if possible. Applying broadly and early will do a lot to help, too. If I thought that raising my MCAT (VR > 9 and, if possible, 30+ overall) was out of reach and I wasn't interested in osteopathic medical schools, then I'd go the Caribbean route. But that's just me and you are you. Do what makes sense for you, not what someone tells you is the best.