taken a year off- good or bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gidget321

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm not sure which I should do.

Right now I'm don't think i'm a very competitive applicant. My GPA is 3.49, I'm planning to take the OAT later this fall. I'm scared that when i apply early this spring that i won't get accepted.

So should i just:

A.) apply early spring. but if i don't get in, just reapply the following year.

B.) wait a year, and then apply

Would it hurt your chances of getting into optometry college more if you take a year off after your undergrade and then apply or reapplying?

During the year off I plan to volunteer and work with a optometrist.

THANKS!!!

Members don't see this ad.

why don't you just look into shadowing/volunteering an optometrist immediately, that's usually an easy and fast process to arrange and by the time you apply you'll have a good number of hours and recommendation(s). your GPA is competitive just do well on the OAT, I don't think you should wait a year to apply

Why would you wait until spring to apply? Get 30 hrs or so of shadowing in and ship off some applications. Do well on the OAT this fall and you're in. I can't understand why there's this idea out there that you have to have a billion hours of shadowing or volunteer work. I can't see any way taking a year off would be beneficial to you.

why waste time. gpa is strong enough, though cumultative is not as impt as science gpa. if you dont get in you dont get in. live goes on.