Taking 2 part courses with a summer in between?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skyrising

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently poised to complete my associates degree in the fall. Would it be a good idea to transfer to a 4 year university in the spring, or should I wait until next fall to transfer to the 4 year university. If I transfer in the spring, that means my Bio/Chem/Calc 1 will be taken in the spring and my Bio/Chem/Calc 2 courses will be taken in the fall. This means there's an entire summer break in between those courses. This will carry on down the line and affect my Physics 1/2 and Biochemistry 1/2 too in the future. I've heard some people say that it's a really bad idea to have a summer break in between 2 part courses because you end up forgetting everything in the 1st part course and end up being unprepared for the 2nd part. Waiting a semester isn't a big deal for me if it means I'll save myself a bunch of headaches/stress down the line. Fellow Bio majors, did you ever take Bio/Chem/Calc/Physics/Biochem with summers in between? Do you feel it affected your performance? Does it even matter (are part 2 courses built off of the 1st part or are they just completely separate/independent)? Thank you for any insights.

Members don't see this ad.

I would advise to not stay in community college any longer than you need to be.
Are there any specific reasons on that? It's kind of too late for me lol, I'm already almost done. I know some dental schools require that you take your pre-reqs at a 4 year university, which I plan on doing. I haven't taken any of the pre-reqs yet, I'm currently enrolled as a "Liberal Arts" major, it's basically a degree for students planning on transferring to a local 4 year university that has a transfer agreement with the community college. I only need 3 more courses in the fall to complete that degree and transfer to a 4 year university to major in Biology.

I took orgo 1 in the fall and didn't take orgo 2 and labs until the next fall and did really well. Just work hard and you should be fine.