Taking 4 pre-req's in one semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medordent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am planning to take 4pre-req's this fall semester.
bio1,2,ochem1,physics1 at community college.
What do you guys think? is it a good idea? or doable?

Members don't see this ad.

dayyyyumm!!! community college or not, that is gonna be a lot of work! is there some reason why you are trynna compress so many pre-req's into one semester? unless you have some legit reason for doing this, I would not recommend this at all. is it doable? yes. but is it a good idea? i don't think so

the reason is because i want to apply by next yr summer.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's risky. Why the hurry?

I took bio, linear algebra, chem, and chem lab all in one quarter. It's possible but it's going to take a lot of work. I wouldn't suggest it though. I could have done a lot better in all my courses if I split them up.

by the way, I have no job, just attending school.

what is bio 2? my advice would be to drop that.. just take 3 classes. you can always apply and complete the pre-req later

bio2 is molecular &cell bio class. the reason i want to complete pre-req as soon as possible is because of the MCAT. if i delay it i wont be prepared for MCAT.

Only you can answer that...it seems doable to me, but then again, I'm not sure how difficult those courses will be at your college, and if they are more difficult than at my college, it might be a little much.

Keep in mind that while you shouldn't rush the process, if you are motivated and want to knock these courses out, it's totally possible to score A's so long as you are willing to put in the effort. Just realize that you may have to decrease some of your other extracurriculars to maintain GPA for that semester.

From what I have read on SDN, it is not advisable to take pre-reqs at a CC. Well, maybe a few is okay, but other than that if you can refrain from it then I would do that.

However, if not, then, if you bust your butt and literally limit your fun, you should be able to pull off A's. Or at least make A's and B's. I do not know you nor do I know if you have good study habits. Just saying.

I absolutely don't see why not! They will be pre-reqs for the upper year courses you want to take too.

If you think you can do it, then go for it.
It's going to require ALOT of time, but if you put forth the effort, you can do it.

It's somewhat unfair for me to say this, as I tend to pick up most subjects quickly, but I don't see what the fuss is about. People tend to assume med pre-req = harder class, but it has more to do with your affinity to and interest in the material, and your dedication to studying. Bio classes are usually straightforward, I wouldn't worry too much about those. Physics isn't bad if you're pretty confident in your previous math/physics performance. Orgo would be the only wildcard, because probably quite different from other chem/science classes you've taken (personally, I thought orgo exams were fun).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't have a job or anything like that to worry about, I don't think this set of classes should be bad at all. Just divide up your study time efficiently and you'll be fine.

I'm not trying to brag here, but simply put things in perspective: I took Physics, Orgo, Cell/Molec bio, Ecology (required for Bio BS at my school), and a research course while working lab prep for the school's bio labs, working for a separate general research lab, and volunteering at a hospital. Plus maintaining somewhat of a social life and an okay sleeping schedule. THAT much I wouldn't recommend too early on into your pre-med years. The course load you suggest is doable as long as you don't underestimate it and put in the necessary time and energy.

More than simply making sure you get good grades in those courses, make sure you study enough to really understand the material since all those courses will have important material for the MCAT. Getting the info down now will make life a little easier later.

I think its a recipe for disaster. 4 classes, plus 4 labs, plus subsequent lab reports and studying is going to be too stressful. Plus, I don't think your reason for taking the pre-reqs at a CC is "good enough." The general consensus on SDN is to avoid it if possible, unless you absolutely must. Also, how will you be able to take bio II when bio I is a pre-requisite. Any department head or advisor should see the disaster forthcoming and discourage you or not approve you taking the courses.

I did mammalian physiology with lab, orgo II with lab, physics II with lab, differential equations, one other class and was able to pull all As with the exception of one B+ in DFQ. It's possible, but it's hard. You really need to budget your time. If you can do that, than those classes should be a breeze.

At my school, bio 1/2 have nothing to do with one another. I'm doing the same thing as OP, but I'm taking both physics' rather than both bio's. I guess the difference is that I've taken everything but ochem as AP in high school. It'll be a lot of work, but it can be done. I don't necessarily see the death trap.

I think that if you really dedicate a lot of time to it, you can do it. I am in a similar situation next semester, (taking microbio/ochem/physics/and higher plants) but i'm ready for it! I would suggest not working... but I would be careful to not take toooo too many pre-req classes at a schoo, that you don't intend to graduate from. just a thought... good luck! :)

Go fot it. I am in the same boat as well.. 2 Biology class, Chem, Calc, 1 Poli Sci class, and one Psych class...

thank you for the response. poliscidoc, you might kill yourself also

thank you for the response. poliscidoc, you might kill yourself also

Haha I hope I don't kill myself. But I am also volunteering on top of my 23 credit hours... This should be a fun year!!!

Good luck to you

not that hard of a schedule in my opinion.

The real issue is that you probably should not be taking prereqs( at least not 4 of them) at a community college.

I remember my freshman year I took Bio II, Physic, Abnormal Psych, Eng Comp II, Trig II, and this boooring Freshman Experience class (8am Friday, BLAH!). And that was tough, mainly it was the lab reports combined with the amount of reading and papers I had to write for Eng. I had the same idea as you, "get it down right now and quick," but really...BE PATIENT and take your time. You only cram like that if you're a senior and still have to complete a bunch of classes.

whats so bad about that? community college tends to be easier than big universities. and its just bio and orgo 1, phys 1. i thought orgo 1 and phys 1 were MUCHHHH easier than orgo II and phys II.

i took orgo 1,2 phys 1,2 together and 4 other classes at the same time

you can definitely handle bio 1 2 orgo 1 and phys 1...

It's really up to you to decide whether or not you can handle that course load or not. To me, sure, it sounds doable. But I went back to school and have crammed 2 years worth of classes into 1 year (plus summer), by taking ONLY science classes at like 16 hours a semester. So yeah, if you think you can hang, go for it. If not, what's the rush? Isn't it better to do well and get in a year later than to do crappy and not ever get in or have to do SMP to bring up a terrible undergrad GPA?

not that hard of a schedule in my opinion.

The real issue is that you probably should not be taking prereqs( at least not 4 of them) at a community college.

how come no one else has brought this up?

So do you go to a university and are taking some pre reqs at a CC or are you only at a CC and thinking about applying to md school from there?

So do you go to a university and are taking some pre reqs at a CC or are you only at a CC and thinking about applying to md school from there?

i go to university but due to the money problem, I am ganna take a year off and take classes at CC. Later on, i will go back to my university.

It's definitely doable but keep in mind...if you get sick, have a personal/family issue, or any other crisis, your entire semester will likely come crashing down.

Honestly, I would spread them out even if that means delaying a year. If it's a money issue then spreading them out would allow time to get a job like many of us have to do.

I think medical schools would rather see you spread them out and be involved with volunteering, research, etc. than cramming all your classes and neglecting everything else.

its quite possible, time management is the key!

It's definitely doable but keep in mind...if you get sick, have a personal/family issue, or any other crisis, your entire semester will likely come crashing down.

Honestly, I would spread them out even if that means delaying a year. If it's a money issue then spreading them out would allow time to get a job like many of us have to do.

I think medical schools would rather see you spread them out and be involved with volunteering, research, etc. than cramming all your classes and neglecting everything else.

Damn what kind of professors do you have? If I had any of these issues I think my professors would work with me...:eek::eek: