Taking a break before test day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xlr8

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many people are going to take a break the day before the test. Memorizing small details the day before could likely pick up a couple of questions, but a break before 7 hours of testing could help overall. What does everyone else think?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering how many people are going to take a break the day before the test. Memorizing small details the day before could likely pick up a couple of questions, but a break before 7 hours of testing could help overall. What does everyone else think?

I'll look at the tables/images in the back of FA, and maybe some little biochem things I keep forgetting, but I'm not studying all day on the day before. Would much rather relax and be fresh the next morning.

Personally I'm going to sit down and read a good book on something that's not medicine.

I don't want to allow my brain to melt by having fun all day and I would like to keep my mind sharp by doing something analytical, but at the same time I would like a respite by reading up on other subjects.

Personally I'm going to sit down and read a good book on something that's not medicine.

I don't want to allow my brain to melt by having fun all day and I would like to keep my mind sharp by doing something analytical, but at the same time I would like a respite by reading up on other subjects.
Read Twilight

Members don't see this ad :)
load dosing some gingko biloba then tearing through FA.

but seriously...at that point i think i'll be in the "F it, let's just get this thing over with" mode. realistically, I'm about halfway there and I still have 24 days haha

I read an interesting point about this in some like "study skills" section of a Kaplan Qbank book. They discuss some psychological phenomenon where trying to cram a bunch of material at the end makes it such that you can only access that information, or something along those lines.

So basically, be careful...maybe make it a light and very global review. You coudl risk having a bunch of those little facts in your head but no access to all of the stuff you have spent the last few months learning.

I read an interesting point about this in some like "study skills" section of a Kaplan Qbank book. They discuss some psychological phenomenon where trying to cram a bunch of material at the end makes it such that you can only access that information, or something along those lines.

So basically, be careful...maybe make it a light and very global review. You coudl risk having a bunch of those little facts in your head but no access to all of the stuff you have spent the last few months learning.

That's interesting. I'm not using Kaplan -- did they cite a study or anything for that? Sounds cool.

Also, awesome mnemonic collection.

I agree with this.

I'm taking the day off before my exam.

Take the day off but if you don't feel comfortable not reading/studying anything, by all means read the high yield stuff (the lists in the back of FA, the pictures, etc) and do a quick flip through. Do not kill yourself studying hard the day before however because you'll just end up either tired or burnt out.

I'm gonna go hit golf balls tomorrow so I can be outside for a bit and then I'm gonna drive a couple hours to my hotel. I'll go over some images, FA HY section, and a couple pages of notes I have taken of stuff I just can't seem to remember. My main goal is to be to sleep before 2 am (I have a hard time sleeping the night before big events) so I'll probably try to go to bed at 10 pm. Then get up, do 10-15 practice questions to get my brain functioning and then off to the test.

I took my exam on the 19th of May. Studied all day on the 18th. Didn't help, but also didn't hurt me in anyway. Maybe it kept me sharp. Go with your instincts. :)