Can I get acceptances/scholarships rescinded for taking the class pass/fail?

• Yes

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Keep the class graded, even if you may get a B/C

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

SpanishMusical

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
TLDR: Can I get acceptances/scholarships rescinded for taking a math class I don't need for my degree pass/fail?

Hi all,

I'm currently in a class due to research interests, and I'm really not enjoying the format (a lot of grading is from whole-group work, so the grade does not always reflect individual aptitude). It's causing me a lot of stress, and I think I'd rather just take it pass/fail than worry about it really hurting my GPA or withdrawing at the end of the semester if I get a C (I have a 4.0 and some acceptances/scholarships that I am afraid to lose if there's suddenly a drop in academics). Is there some reason this is an inadvertently bad idea I'm just not seeing, or is this an OK course of action? Or maybe I should just suck it up and be OK with a B or C?

@Goro @LizzyM @gonnif

Last edited:

Rachapkis

2+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
If they've admitted you and you pass the class, you will be fine. You've earned the A and you are not going to lose it for taking a class P/F.

Reactions: 1 user
May 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Hi there! From what I remember from the last cycle as COVID started up, if the class is required as a pre-requisite for that school, then it's better NOT to take it P/F. However, if the course is involved in finishing your degree/an elective with no importance, then you should be fine taking it P/F even with your acceptance. Truthfully, I think a C would barely make a dent in your 4.0 at this point in your academic career; however, totally up to you. Congrats on the acceptance :)

SpanishMusical

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks everyone -- I think I'll be taking it pass/fail. I emailed one of my schools with an acceptance/scholarship and they said no worries taking it pass/fail, and I see no reason to stress myself out over something that's entirely outside of my control (others' performance). I figure having a machine learning-related honors thesis and good grades in my computational classes will be plenty impressive enough for computational PIs, too, so I don't think this will limit my research options.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.