Taking a folder to interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemguync

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I just scheduled my first interview, and wanna clear up a question before I go in. I've seen reference a couple times of taking a folder to the interview. What are folks talking about here? Just copies of my AMCAS and secondary, and other stuff I wanna cram into memorization 20 secs before the interview, or will the interviewer expect me to have stuff to go through w/ him/her? Any enlightenment would be appreciated.
Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving :)
-Chem

Members don't see this ad.

something to hold your review stuff (your amcas app, etc), plus something to hold the stuff they give you. folder is optional, i've found. i don't really use it, but i bring it with me just because otherwise i'd be nervous about not having it.

It gives me something to read when I fly out to the east coast for interviews. Gets me focused on the task at hand. Plus, you never know when that interviewer may ask for a copy of your personal statement or transcript because theirs got misplaced. I agree w/ the idea that it just makes you feel better having something with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
As PrincessCKNY mentioned, I strongly recommend taking anything that can serve as "emergency backup" materials. Could save you some significant headaches!

I agree with the above advice. It is also a good idea to do last minute reviews by reading your AMCAS personal statement and so forth. Schools like Yale will grill you heavily on your application, they will know it inside out, and so should you.

Good Luck :)

Dude, at this point in the application process you should know your stuff. A "last minute review" will not help you that much. No one will "grill" you on your application anyway. They will ask about this and that, but nothing hard. A folder is not needed (sometimes the school gives you one anyway). I always felt more confident without one. (And it's funny to see all the applicants with their folders and nothing to do with them. And it's hilarious to see someone whip out a big legal pad from their folder to take one or two notes on the financial aid presentation, when they give you all the information on a handout anyway.) Don't go with a folder. Walk into that interview with just your confidence.
Just to clear up any confusion--I did bring a copy of my application, stuff about the school, questions to ask, research publications, etc. But I would look it over the night before and leave it with my luggage.
Good luck.

Take a folder if it makes you more confident but I think it is a good idea to review your application for few seconds just in case you are nervous and forget.

It depends on the school that you are interviewing at. Some schools will ask you in detail about your application and activities. My interviews at George Washington and UPenn, they asked me about my activities that I listed on my forms from what methods I used in my research and what specific organizations I worked with. I did well at UPenn since I was prepared, but at GW, I forgot I had listed one of the activities and what I did since it was a few years back.

It doesn't hurt to do last minute reviews.

I say take a folder - not just for stuff you want to bring, but for handouts you'll be given durin the course of the day.

C.

another reson to take a folder is simply to hang on to something... besides, it looks sharp ;)