Taking a Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luchthept

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pre-physical therapy student and although I already applied to schools for this cycle, I'm seriously considering taking a gap year! My senioritis is terrible and I feel like it would be best for my mental health to take a good break from schooling before I begin a rigorous 3-year doctorate program. I also want to experience traveling and save up some money. I want to know if any current PT's or PT student took a gap year and how they feel it helped or hurt their PT experience. Also, I would like to know what you did in the gap year and what you should do to make it worthwhile. Also, do PT schools offer acceptance deferments?

Members don't see this ad.

PT schools will likely give you deferment if there is a good reason for that. Probably not a good idea to give them the reason you wrote here unless it is your doctor's advice. (I do think though that it's a good idea for you to take a year off since you feel like you indeed need it!) I know a couple of people got accepted and started later because they god pregnant, family emergencies should be reasonable (not sure if they will ask for a proof of that or not), health issues... things like that.

I was accepted in August 2019 to the University of Minnesota's DPT program, and successfully deferred on the basis of taking two years off to work with the Peace Corps. I tied it to the program's importance on cultural competency and global mindset. Obviously Peace Corps didn't work out for me due to being emergency evacuated due to COVID, but I totally agree that the time off from school is beneficial mentally/physically/emotionally. It's worth a shot to ask the programs for deferral once you are accepted! The worst thing that can happen is that they no.

I think it is fine from an admissions standpoint. Different schools will have different policies on deferrals. Just keep in mind that this is probably not the best year to be traveling, and even working could be difficult to secure right now. If you aren't in need of a sure income/healthcare/etc then go for it.