Taking a light load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CommyO

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,
Is it frowned upon if I take 12 unit semesters with 2 'heavy' classes such as biochem/physics or cellbio/biochem or any combination of upper division tough science classes such as physio.

The thing is that I need to raise my GPA and taking 3 heavy science classes seems like it would be suicide. Basically, will I seem less prepared for med school/professional school adcoms if I do this?

To elaborate, the 12 unit semesters would be padded with a psychology or fine art req that I still haven't satisfied until I have to eventually knockout upper bio classes. I could probably do a 16 unit with 2 padded classes but at this point, it's hard to know which classes will be easy enough to pair with the tougher classes and I don't want to end up with 3 hard classes pulling all nighters every week.

Members don't see this ad.

This is what I did and it generally worked well. I pursued a separate degree in social sciences so it made sense to split it up that way. I called those classes my "fun" classes, and usually had at least one per term. I had one term where I had to take physics II, calc II and organic chem II and managed A's, but I would not wish the level of work that took on anyone.

In my senior year, I had to take a term off and took the following term part-time, but still graduated on time. I was dealing with sickness/scheduling difficulties and focused more on my ECs when I could.

I had a good academic record throughout UG and no interviewer asked about it this cycle. One interviewer even said that I could probably finish pre-clinical in a year (yeah thanks but no thanks). Poor grades will make you seem unprepared; a light load much much much less so.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I did and it generally worked well. I pursued a separate degree in social sciences so it made sense to split it up that way. I called those classes my "fun" classes, and usually had at least one per term. I had one term where I had to take physics II, calc II and organic chem II and managed A's, but I would not wish the level of work that took on anyone.
That's what I am trying to avoid. I know people going for Biochem/Physics II/ Cellbio. I've been doing the fun class thing with gen bio and gen chem. I just did ochem I and physics I and it was pretty hectic this past semester because my writing class and psych class ended up taking more time and effort than I thought they would so I'm paranoid at this point to damage the GPA further.

I was thinking of changing my major to psychology but decided not to but it seems that you double majored. I've taken 4 psych classes already so I'll see what's required for that major even though it's currently my minor. I'll only do it if the classes are easy As because psych isn't as cool as it seemed freshman year. It seems too pseudo science..

At the end of the day
Grades> Course load.

Doing that throughout college might look like you're not taking full advantage of your education, pursue a minor maybe?
That's what I've been told by my advisors when I took ~10 credits senior spring.

But if you need it for your grades, go for it