Taking a lighter courseload because of MCATS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meghapatel92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to take the MCATS for the first time in January of my junior year. Does it look really bad to take easier classes during the fall semester so I can study properly? For my biology major I still have to take 23 credits of bio electives (18 credits should be 300-400 level).

I was planning on spreading those 18 credits of 300-400 level in my junior year spring semester and senior year semesters and just dealing with the lower level biology electives this fall. This is what I was thinking about taking:

Organic Chemistry Lab - 2 credits - 300 level - hard
Intro to clinical and school psychology - 3 credits - for psych minor
intro to music theory - 3 credits - easy A online class
intro to cancer - 3 credits - bio elective 200 level - lots of memorizing
nutrition and health - 3 credits - not bio elective but semi-easy A online class

total = 15 credits

With this schedule I would have more free time because of online classes, but I don't know if med schools would see it as slacking or something.

Members don't see this ad.

Who cares what they think? Scoring a 35X with while taking 15 credits is a hell of a lot better than scoring a 29 while taking 20 credits. Just stay full-time and do your best on the mcat. A heavy-load will DEFINITELY affect your mcat, social life, or both, very badly

I doubt they will.

Caution: taking 15 credits of "light coursework" was not compatible with the MCAT for me. My light courses usually involved papers, and it was enough stress to get A's in there and find shadowing, volunteering, etc. I was able to do maybe an hour or two MCAT a week.

But hopefully you have better time management skills than me. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I took 13 hours this semester to study for the mcat.
Physics 2 with lab, organic chemistry lab, cell cycle regulation(400 level) and research for credit.

I got a decent amount of studying done but I found that the classes I took required more time then I thought they would ie writing 20 plus page lab reports for organic lab each week, papers and tests for cell cycle, physics homework every week, etc.
So if my advice is if you do take a lighter course load, try to make sure that you will be able to allot at least 10 to 15 hours a week of studying for the mcat. But also, take into consideration your classes to. For example, by taking physics two and organic lab and cell cycle regulation and having to put so much effort into making As in the classes, I was actually studying for the mcat because I was increasing my understanding of material that is tested on the mcat. So try to take classes that are relevant for the mcat such as your physics and bio and organic lab. You'd be amazed at how much they help.

Heres how it worked for me:

At the beginning of last semester, I was making a 9 on physical sciences and a 10 on biological sciences. It was frustrating as well because I found I didn't have as much time to study for the actual test. But then I started really focusing on UNDERSTANDING the material in the classes to the point where I now teach the classes. I made an A plus in physics and organic lab and cell cycle regulation. I barely studied for the mcat over the course of the semester, just reviewing gen chem. I took aamc last week and made a 12 on bio and a 14 on physical sciences.

So I suggest taking a lighter course load but take classes that are relevant to the mcat. Focus on understanding all of the concepts of those classes to a very very high degree and don't focus on studying for the mcat as much but review things you learned in the pAst for about ten to fifteen hours a week at most. I spent less time than that. You will be amazed at your score improvement.

Hope this helps!
Cheers

I plan to take the MCATS for the first time in January of my junior year. Does it look really bad to take easier classes during the fall semester so I can study properly? For my biology major I still have to take 23 credits of bio electives (18 credits should be 300-400 level).

I was planning on spreading those 18 credits of 300-400 level in my junior year spring semester and senior year semesters and just dealing with the lower level biology electives this fall. This is what I was thinking about taking:

Organic Chemistry Lab - 2 credits - 300 level - hard
Intro to clinical and school psychology - 3 credits - for psych minor
intro to music theory - 3 credits - easy A online class
intro to cancer - 3 credits - bio elective 200 level - lots of memorizing
nutrition and health - 3 credits - not bio elective but semi-easy A online class

total = 15 credits

With this schedule I would have more free time because of online classes, but I don't know if med schools would see it as slacking or something.

Try to knock one or two of those easy classes off and add maybe one class that is very relevant to the test.

Try to knock one or two of those easy classes off and add maybe one class that is very relevant to the test.

im actually considering taking out intro to cancer and replacing it with integrative physiology? that class will be hard but i heard that physiology should help a lot

Physiology will definitely help. I know a few people that took human physiology, a 400 level bio considered to be extremely difficult. Both made 12 plus on the bio section of the mcat