MD Taking a lot of time creating anki cards [HELP]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alaaz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me how i can make anki cards faster

Every day : from monday to sunday, they teach us like at minimum +150 slides ( 2 lectures per day ) but it takes me like 4-5 hours straight to make anki cards + 4 hours to review old and new cards = almost 9 hours a day !!!

How can i speed up the process ?? I can't seem to complete what i have to do every single day

Members don't see this ad.

Some tips I've been teaching my students, and they've found to be helpful:
- Learn how to do image occlusion and cloze deletion
- Keep your cards simple, clinical, and high-yield
- Create your own shorthand
- Don't be tempted to use other people's decks, this usually backfires and creates more work for you

Reactions: 2 users
I am in no way an expert in anki card making but I have started using anki after first block of medical school. I think it is hard initially to come up with good cards and ask questions in the right way. Here are a few tips that I use now:

- ask more direct questions, don't make questions that are too broad and take a while to figure out what you are even asking yourself

- I try to limit information to 3-4 facts per card

- in case you are making a card for a some long step process (steps in making T3.T4 in thyroid for example) make one card that outlines the main points and the cards following go into the details of each step

Hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Copy and paste straight from PowerPoint into anki. Alternatively, use firecracker or bros deck. I started with anki but felt like it was too time consuming and tiring making cards so I switched to a combo firecracker and reading the slides over and over.

You're probably making way too many. There is no way on earth you should have enough cards to be doing 4 hours a day. You really shouldn't be doing flashcards for over 1 hour regularly in my opinion. Keep them simple and to the facts. I think I was making 200-300 per test in M1. M2 I've used the Brosencephalon deck and probably pull out 800-1000 cards per 3 week test but thats with alot of topic overlap. Its a method I would recommend if you want to search my post history.

I know some people make every single slide into flash cards but thats silly in my book. You are using the flash cards for the hard facts and details primarily....which in reality is 80% of the battle.

Reactions: 1 user
Image Occlusion 2.0! There are videos on YouTube.

Use pre-made cards as suggested above. Firecracker is great for NBME exams. Once I switched from Anki to Firecracker I cut down significantly on the time that I spent studying each week. Good luck!

Can anyone explain to me how i can make anki cards faster

Every day : from monday to sunday, they teach us like at minimum +150 slides ( 2 lectures per day ) but it takes me like 4-5 hours straight to make anki cards + 4 hours to review old and new cards = almost 9 hours a day !!!

How can i speed up the process ?? I can't seem to complete what i have to do every single day

Off topic, but there's plenty of good ANKI advice on here so I'll just give my own opinion and say don't force ANKI. I tried to make ANKI work and wasted a good amount of critical M2 time until the prospect of not doing well on Step forced me to kick the habit. I feel like at the end of the day, the material is just too much to boil down into "x" number of cards and you're better if you just think thru everything. Otherwise, what to make into a card and how to do it is half the battle. I'm not the best but I recommend quizzing yourself, covering up halves of tables, watching from reputable alternative sources, and repeat reading. If you're meticulous want something more structured, one thing that really worked for my friend in the Pathophysiology units was creating excel tables. Nearly everything you learn is a new disease and it can be broken down into Pathophysiology, Exam findings, Lab findings, etc. so those were his columns and he made large spreadsheets with rows of diseases and reviewed them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I screenshot slides onto the back, and make a 10-question card type. Simple q's on the front to prompt me. quick to make, and covers everything in the course

honestly can't think of many less efficient ways to study than spending hours making flashcards, but to each his own