Taking a non-science class pass/fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ansar

En el camino aprendí
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My GPA is not so great (3.4cGPA/3.2sGPA) so I'm going to trying to work hard to improve my sGPA mainly. I want to do this by taking the non-science classes I have to take (to fulfill requirements by the university) as pass/fail (so I can focus more on the classes that matter toward both sGPA and cGPA). Is this a bad move in the eyes of adcoms?

I'm talking about classes like psychology or sociology or history that I need to fulfill distribution requirements.

Thanks,
Ansar

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you take a class P/F when you could easily study, make a high grade, and improve your GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you take a smaller course load, and take classes you feel you can handle and work your way up. Generally my advisor had said not to take P/F courses, guess there was a certain stigma.

I know law schools treat P/F classes as Cs sometimes. So I would definitely call a few schools maybe, and ask before you do some more damage?

Is it really that bad to take classes P/F? :confused: I've taken all my history GEs P/F so I wouldn't stress about TA variability when it came to grading my 15 page papers

Do whatever you want and your interested in

I don't think he's talking about the class. Rather, he's talking about taking the class for a grade or taking the class as a pass/fail.

OP, I suggest you take the class for a grade. Most, and I repeat most, not all, GE's are rather easy or not as difficult as some of your upper science courses. From what I've read on here, adcoms view P/F classes negatively.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions, guys! :)

Yeah, the professor for this class actually has a reputation for not being a bad grader, but haha...I hear when you take a class P/F you barely have to put effort in it. :oops: