Taking a Quarter Off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riparian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about taking a quarter off from my university to save a lot of money through taking classes at a local community college this upcoming fall semester. Since the classes I'm taking are all lower division classes I need to get out of the way (calculus, physics, computer programming, biology), will doing this greatly affect my chances of being accepted into a Pharmacy school? By the way, I'm a second year student, and I'm trying to bring up my GPA as it's currently below a 3.0.

Members don't see this ad.

I have done that. I already assume pharmacy school looks down on CC credits, but if you make all "A's" then they won't look down on those credits as bad.

It depends on the school. You would be better off asking someone in admissions, the school I am going to it doesn't matter which type of college you get the credit at.

I'm sure not every Pharm school is going to pass you up because of a few CC courses. Then again, how many schools could you possibly be applying to? I can see a lot of schools passing on your application because of these classes, viewing them as some what of an incomplete fulfillment required for PharmD.
If your applying to get into the PharmD program their going to be looking at all of your Pre-Pharm work. With that said, a CC syllabus and course level is not going to be that of a University level. I'm sure that this is not actually the case in many instances. However, I myself was warned about CC level courses by admissions at the Pharmacy school I will be attending.
In my undergrad I took two science classes at two different CC colleges over the summer and my Pharm school basically told me I would need to retake them because they are not transferable at that level. I am totally kool with that, and expected it. Taking them at a CC for me was more to insure my graduation the following year since my University was not offering the classes I needed (lovely).
So with that said, I would not risk taking them at a CC. The education may be wonderful, no one is saying it isn't, but leave CC to those who must go to CC, not someone who is competing for something so fragile. Good luck!:p