Taking a Semester Off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elfie

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So due to unforeseen financial issues, I am going to have to take this next semester off. Has nothing to do with grades or anything, it's strictly financial. Is this something that is going to severely detriment me when it comes to applying in the future? I'm a sophomore so I still have time between applying and what not. My plan is that during this down time, I'm going to work, volunteer and build my app in that aspect, and study what I can for the MCAT (starting early but hey I have nothing else to do).

I'm really devastated but honestly this is out of my control so I just have to let it go. I'm trying to spin this in a positive light despite it being really sucky.

Members don't see this ad.

So due to unforeseen financial issues, I am going to have to take this next semester off. Has nothing to do with grades or anything, it's strictly financial. Is this something that is going to severely detriment me when it comes to applying in the future? I'm a sophomore so I still have time between applying and what not. My plan is that during this down time, I'm going to work, volunteer and build my app in that aspect, and study what I can for the MCAT (starting early but hey I have nothing else to do).
No, especially if you do indeed use the time constructively to build nonacademic components of your application.

Reactions: 3 users
Not at all. In fact it's not as uncommon as you think, so don't feel that you're alone in taking a semester off to work. It sounds like you have a game plan to strengthen your app during your time off so you're a-OK.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not at all.

I'm really devastated but honestly this is out of my control so I just have to let it go. I'm trying to spin this in a positive light despite it being really sucky.

I did a very similar thing and I got in! You can too. Gaining work experience made me such a better student too. I learned so much about myself and my commitment to others in that time.

I mean just really great essay fodder.

Reactions: 1 user