Taking a year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharmcas514

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was working at a community pharmacy while attending college, but quit after I graduated so I could move back home and save some money for rent. I did not think it would be so hard to find another pharmacy job back at home. It's been almost a month and I am still searching. I am looking into other jobs now as well, especially becoming a middle school/ high school tutor/mentor. What do you think? Still continue to look for a pharmacy job or try this option? Would this be frowned upon by pharmacy schools when they discover that I did nothing pharmacy-related during my year off?
 
Tutoring/academic/research assisting is the next best thing to working in a pharmacy for application sake, in my opinion. (I also did tutoring and lab assisting in addition to pharm tech work pre-acceptance). I would pursue both choices and run with whichever one comes around for you.

I believe that the clichè, "you can't lose," applies to your current situation.

Good luck! 🙂
 
The point of working pharmacy before school is to get a feel for what the profession is like. You have that already. If you can't get a local pharm job, then get another job. If you are asked about it at an interview, you have a reasonable explanation. There is no point in worrying about what you have no control over.