Taking bio 2 or chem 2 without bio 1 or chem 2??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MexicanDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So has anyone taken bio 2 or chem 2 before taking bio/chem 1?

Dome schools offer the "1s" in the fall and "2s" in the spring.

Since this might be the case at my school and I haven't taken the 1s, the only optio I might have is to take the "2s". Now, is this even possible? If so, what would be the disadvantages? I'm sure bio 2 would be ok, but what about chem 2? Is chem 2 very dependent on chem 1?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do this. Both classes assume information you should have gotten in Bio and Chem 1. Better to be a year behind than bomb the classes and start off with a poor sGPA

Chem 2 - No chance.
Bio 2 - It depends on your school and how it's taught. Ask around if it is built on bio 1 or assumes you have that knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bio "1" was way too easy, you can possibly skip bio 1. You can't skip chem "1" though.

I was checking with my school and I think I could take Bio 2 without taking Bio 1. I mean, what essential things from Bio 1 would you need for Bio 2?

Buy a campbell book and read it over the weekend and your good to go.

I've always thought the 1's were prerequisites for the 2's.

At my schools 1s are prereqs for the 2s, but I used AP credit to skip some of the 1s and go straight to the 2s, no big deal

I would not take Chem 2 without Chem 1. However, at least at my school, you did not need Bio 1 to complete Bio 2. In fact, Bio 1 was full - so I took Bio 2 first.

So how did you do in BIO 2 without Bio 1? Did you feel you were at a disadvantage for not taking Bio 1 first?

I was in the same situation. I took Bio II first, since I was a grad student that was ok. The thing was that many of the questions were from Bio I, like in which of these animals do you see the 9+11 pattern? And it was my first Bio course so I didn't know anything.
About Gen Chem II , I don't think you need to know much about Chem I. It's a different story and wouldn't affect your performance.

So how did you do in BIO 2 without Bio 1? Did you feel you were at a disadvantage for not taking Bio 1 first?

Umm, I know that it wasn't me answering you question but I thought I'd point this out. I think you CAN take and do good in Biology 2 w/out Biology 1 just because the concepts in the subject are completely unrelated to stuff covered in other segments of the previous Biology courses. For example:

Phylogeny is not so much dependent of the biochemical portion of the class.

From my experience when ever we covered new material in Biology it was almost always something new and sometimes completely unrelated to anything we had taken before.

As for Chemistry, you're dead if you take 2 before 1 as this course builds on itself.