Taking Biochem and Physics I next semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilin1590

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was looking at what classes I should think about taking next fall if I want to start applying in the summer of 2011 and it looks like I most likely would have to take physics I and biochem at the same time. Is this pushing it or should I do it? Also how many science classes with lab have any of you taken in one semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Last semester, I took Ochem, Physics & General Bio(all will labs) and did just fine. This semester I have Ochem2, Physics2, (both with labs), General Bio2, and Bio Chem. It's quite a load, but if you focus and keep up on your studies, you should be able to handle it.

I took physics and biochem, both with labs at the same time. Just buckle down and study hard. Definitely doable!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
It is doable. The most science classes with lab I have taken in one semester is 2. My biggest semesters were 18 credits the worst semester for me was when I took 5 upper level sciences in 1 semester (I only had 1 lab, but it was by far one of the hardest semesters ETA: Ignore this I forgot Parasitology also had a lab.). I had Animal Phys w/lab, Parasitology (ETA: w/lab), Marine Bio, Evolutionary Bio, and I decided to toss in Calc while I was at it. (I also worked approximately 25 hours/week too during this semester). My other 18 credit semester was when I took Ochem I lab, Ochem II, Biochem (ours did not have a lab), Physics II (w/lab) and an English and History class. I just might be slightly crazy.

So, it is doable to take both physics and biochem at the same time just be prepared to study hard! Good Luck!! :luck:

Last edited:
So obviously many of you think this is possible. Should I just leave it at these two courses and choose some easier gen eds or should I take one more science with lab?

Well depending on how far along in school you are, you should be able to judge what you're comfortable with and what will turn you insane! Right now I'm in biochem lecture and lab, vertebrate zoology lecture and lab, and developmental anatomy lab in addition to assistant TAing for a physiology lab and working in a research lab about 15+ hours per week. Almost everything I do seems to have the word "lab" in it! I really like it but it is a lot of work.

i'm another one who says this is definitely doable.

last semester i had biochem, phys 1 & lab, micro & lab, did research part time, and worked part time. i actually felt more organized when i was that busy than i do this semester. i just hope your biochem professor(s) are better than mine were.

I took Biochem I, Genetics, and Microbio (I think) at the same time. It's doable, just not fun.

You're going to need to take multiple science courses (OK, lots) of tougher science courses each semester in vet school so you might as well show the ad coms that you can do it!:)

Hmm..

I don't think I ever had less than two upper division science courses with labs (not counting physics - that isn't even upper division and the lab was a joke) at a time during the 2 years in which I finished my second bachelors. Of course, I guess that's what happens when pretty much all of what you have to complete for the degree is upper division science courses with labs. :rolleyes:

I also took biochem I at the same time as general bio I and biochem II at the same time as general bio II (also genetics and micro the latter semester). I'm obviously not very good at planning.

Physics III, Cell Physiology, and O. Chem, all with lab, plus work, plus volunteering at once. Got a 4.0. Time management and a lot of comfort food was the key ;)

i just hope your biochem professor(s) are better than mine were.
I don't think they will be unfortunately... I wonder if anyone has liked their biochem profs? Anyhow I'm officially taking Biochem, Physics 1 (heard the prof is not bad) and Invertebrate zoology. Wish me luck :eek: LOL!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I ever took any less than 3 science courses in a given semester of undergrad. I managed to do well, so it's totally do-able. The thing you have to consider is if YOU think you can handle the coursework. If you think you can do it, you're golden.

I don't think I ever took any less than 3 science courses in a given semester of undergrad. I managed to do well, so it's totally do-able. The thing you have to consider is if YOU think you can handle the coursework. If you think you can do it, you're golden.

Same. My last semester of undergrad I took Virology, Microbial Genetics, Cardio/Resp Phys and Physics II all with labs. Totally doable and I actually really enjoyed that semester since most of my classes were so applicable to vet med. My other semesters were pretty much the same since I had all my gen ed's knocked out in high school (thanks AP exams!).

Time management is key and also finding good study buddies (if that kind of thing works for you). It's not easy but just make sure you keep up to date on all the reading/reviewing and you should be fine. Procrastinating is a slippery slope during semesters like that! Once you're behind it's almost impossible to catch up.

For what it's worth to those who have not yet taken biochem:

I got pretty scared to take biochem based off of the horror stories I've heard on this forum, but I kind of love that class! As someone who has gotten Bs and Cs through gen. chem and ochem, I'm confident that I will get an A in biochem this semester. Maybe it was that I was scared into studying harder, maybe I lucked out with great professors, or maybe it's just the fact that I enjoy the subject matter so much more than gen. chem or ochem, but I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be! You can do it!! :love:

but I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be!

depends on your personal situation. i really enjoy the material, but my professors/class structure were awful and resulted in a horrible experience for this course. so it very well could be as bad as people make it out to be b/c their situations were in fact horrible while others situations were pleasant.

I loved my biochem professor! He actually wrote me a LOR last app cycle :) Great guy, good professor.

jealous! i did, however, keep my biochem book in case i need it for reference in vet school.

So obviously many of you think this is possible. Should I just leave it at these two courses and choose some easier gen eds or should I take one more science with lab?

I'd say get your hard stuff over with early on and then take your easy/fun stuff later. Just my two cents though.

I took both physics I and biochem along with comp. anatomy (which has the reputation of being the toughest bio course at my school) and did fine. And I am NOT one of those people that is brilliant in physics or biochem! ;) It's definitely doable...if you manage your time well :)

I always take 2 or more science classes a semester. Physics isn't hard at all, unless its for engineering majors. Plus admissions want you to be able to take many science classes at once because that's what you'll have to do once you get into vet school :p. Right now I'm taking Ochem, Bio, Calc, English, and physics!

Last semester I had O Chem I, Physics I, Statistics, Genetics and Molecular Biology and Microbiology. Every one but Stats had a lab component. I did fine with it, except for O Chem, and that was a matter of me and the professor and me and O Chem just not getting along. :oops:

I decided to split the physics and Biochem, mainly due to finishing on time and not killing myself in the process. So I am taking physics I and II over the summer, then in the fall I will be taking Biochem w/lab, Genetics w/lab another upper division science w/lab, then two gen eds.This semester I took OChem II :love:, A&P, cell bio, art histoy and a philosophy (ethics of Harry Potter, yeah I know, but it is a fun class!!). It seems the tougher the courses get the better I do, but I am horrified of physics so that is why I am taking it by itself, so I can focus just on that!