Taking Biochem over the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quaestor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would med schools look down upon this? I want to study abroad for a semester, preferably Fall of my junior year, but with the application timeline I don't see how it's possible unless I take something over the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

No, but that's going to be one heck of a cram course. I'm on the quarter system and it was fast and crammy enough in 10 weeks. I can't imagine the amount of information per day in a summer course. You're fine, though.

I took biochem over the summer.

I think schools only look down on summer classes if you take notoriously difficult courses at "easier" schools like community colleges. Just be sure to take biochem at your own school over the summer and it shouldn't be a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm. Would it be okay to take it while studying for the MCAT? I plan on studying for it spring junior year.

Hmm. Would it be okay to take it while studying for the MCAT? I plan on studying for it spring junior year.

Since the new MCAT will have a lot of biochemistry in it, ideally you want to take it before studying for the MCAT.

Try to take it at a school which has full summer sessions (my school does a full 14 weeks).

Even look around at other 4 year universities nearby if you have to. You'd be surprise how much as 4-6 week shortened Biochem course would SUCK.

Oh. I thought it was but a mere portion of the Biological Sciences section. Guess not.

Since it's too expensive at my current institution, I'd rather not take summer classes there since my FA doesn't cover summer. I was hoping to take it at a CC or a uni in my city (Univ. of Houston).

Last edited:
I'm taking biochem now in a 6 week course while studying for the MCAT and working with research fellowships. Definitely doable, and if you want to maintain an A study 1-2 times a day, although I've been getting away with every other day because I have awkwardly good memory. I feel like it's all memorization and a lot of it seems like bits and pieces I've learned in other classes, while a lot a also new. Also, say goodbye to most of your social life for a few weeks! Good luck :)