Taking both Orgo and Physics over the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shlomo1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a college freshman and I'm planning on taking Orgo 1 and Physics 1 (Algebra-based) during Summer Session 1 and Orgo 2 and Physics 2 (Algebra-based) during Summer Session 2. Each summer session is 6 weeks and I won't be taking the labs for either subjects over the summer, strictly the lecture components. The way the scheduling is set up, I'd have orgo from 9:30 am-10:45 am and physics from 6:30 pm-8:15 pm every day. So I would have a considerable amount of time on my hands to conquer the material for both classes.

I'm doing this so I can take human phys and biochem my sophomore year (I'll have my premed reqs completed by then) in order to study and do well on the MCAT between my sophomore and junior year.

I already know the pros and cons of taking either class over the summer (focus on one subject, understand it better, and ultimately get a better grade). However, how hard will it be to take both over the summer? To anyone that's done it: is it feasible? I'm pretty confident in my abilities as a student, but I just want to receive some insight before I make this decision. If it's important to know, I've taken AP Physics 1 and 2 (algebra based) in high school so I have a pretty strong background with Physics. Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do it, just make sure the professors are decent

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently a college freshman and I'm planning on taking Orgo 1 and Physics 1 (Algebra-based) during Summer Session 1 and Orgo 2 and Physics 2 (Algebra-based) during Summer Session 2. Each summer session is 6 weeks and I won't be taking the labs for either subjects over the summer, strictly the lecture components. The way the scheduling is set up, I'd have orgo from 9:30 am-10:45 am and physics from 6:30 pm-8:15 pm every day. So I would have a considerable amount of time on my hands to conquer the material for both classes.

I'm doing this so I can take human phys and biochem my sophomore year (I'll have my premed reqs completed by then) in order to study and do well on the MCAT between my sophomore and junior year.

I already know the pros and cons of taking either class over the summer (focus on one subject, understand it better, and ultimately get a better grade). However, how hard will it be to take both over the summer? To anyone that's done it: is it feasible? I'm pretty confident in my abilities as a student, but I just want to receive some insight before I make this decision. If it's important to know, I've taken AP Physics 1 and 2 (algebra based) in high school so I have a pretty strong background with Physics. Thanks so much.

It has never been done before in the history of mankind.

Members don't see this ad :)
a few thoughts
1) why the rush in taking the MCAT prior to junior year?
2) taking intensive courses in a compressed time frame leaves no buffer and risks grades/GPA. reducing risk in all aspects of premedical work and application is always my reccomendation.
3) adcoms want to see applicants in a rigorous academic environment. Because of the compressed timeframe, summer coursework, like community college work, is often perceived as less rigorous than normal semester courses.
see about dozen medical schools view of premedical coursework rigor
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/what-has-sdn-taught-you.1246302/page-3#post-18741873

Thank you for replying. I wasn't necessarily focused on the rushing aspect in taking the MCAT, but rather to focus on my Neuroscience classes and premed reqs independently for the best grades possible. For example, normally I would take my intro to neuro class and other neuro major classes beginning in sophomore year. So to take those classes, which are notoriously difficult at my school, with my premed reqs, particularly orgo and physics, would be very annoying. Therefore I thought it'd be best to space it out and as a result, it just happens that I'd be completing my MCAT reqs (human phys and biochem) at the end of sophomore year (to conveniently take the MCAT in succession) and focus on intro to neuro, other neuro classes, my GPA from Junior year and onwards. Also, I have potential plans in studying abroad in my junior year and if that does happen, taking the MCAT earlier would be helpful in terms of academic/study abroad and MCAT prep conflict. Hope that makes sense. Let me know what you think about this.

Also, I've contact multiple med schools and current med students to get their opinions on summer classes and they said as long as I do well and I take them at a 4 year university (which I am), it'd be fine. But your link does give valid reason otherwise... I'll totally take it into consideration. Once again, thank you.

Last edited:
a few thoughts
1) why the rush in taking the MCAT prior to junior year?
2) taking intensive courses in a compressed time frame leaves no buffer and risks grades/GPA. reducing risk in all aspects of premedical work and application is always my reccomendation.
3) adcoms want to see applicants in a rigorous academic environment. Because of the compressed timeframe, summer coursework, like community college work, is often perceived as less rigorous than normal semester courses.
see about dozen medical schools view of premedical coursework rigor
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/what-has-sdn-taught-you.1246302/page-3#post-18741873
I just don't understand why a compressed time frame makes a class seem less vigorous? Wouldn't it be more vigorous? Because the same material is condensed?

it is commonly perceived that the compressed time frame often means skipping material/chapters and summer staffing often mean adjunct faculty. Whether or not that is justified or true at your school, it is a generalization that adcoms cant investigate at each UG to figure it out. In the same way that 4 year school is perceived as better than CC as a rule of thumb, regular semester coursework is perceived more rigorous than summerwork .
._.
I mean, can't they just assume its more condensed? Why do they have to be salty?

it is commonly perceived that the compressed time frame often means skipping material/chapters and summer staffing often mean adjunct faculty. Whether or not that is justified or true at your school, it is a generalization that adcoms cant investigate at each UG to figure it out. In the same way that 4 year school is perceived as better than CC as a rule of thumb, regular semester coursework is perceived more rigorous than summerwork .

this isn't a red flag though, right? for instance, if i take a lot of summer classes and do well (on top of having a good GPA and good MCAT), i wouldn't get slammed?

this isn't a red flag though, right? for instance, if i take a lot of summer classes and do well (on top of having a good GPA and good MCAT), i wouldn't get slammed?
I thik Gonnif and LizzyM have pretty much told us how cynical some AdComs can be.....

Just those lectures should not be very difficult in my opinion. Having said that i cannot weight in on how med schools will look at them being over summer term.