Taking chem next semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dropped chemistry, and I'm taking a bunch of easy electives with Bio 111. I will be taking chem 111 next semester. Is this bad? Does this put me in a disadvantage? I'm set for transferring next fall to a bigger school where I will be majoring in something like sociology or pyschology but taking my pre-med pre reqs as I go. Any suggestions? Should I start volunterring soon? I already have about 30 hours clincally volunteering in the MICU.

Members don't see this ad.

How far are you on in your degree?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha don't worry you'll be fine. Work on getting all your pre reqs done by the end of junior year right before you take the MCAT preferably as soon as you can get them done. taking chem next semester will not be a set back. Also, start looking for some volunteering opportunities to do on the weekends when there is more time for you to dedicate a few hours of work to. Visit your local medical facilities and ask if they are looking for any volunteers to help with patients.

Haha don't worry you'll be fine. Work on getting all your pre reqs done by the end of junior year right before you take the MCAT preferably as soon as you can get them done. taking chem next semester will not be a set back. Also, start looking for some volunteering opportunities to do on the weekends when there is more time for you to dedicate a few hours of work to. Visit your local medical facilities and ask if they are looking for any volunteers to help with patients.

Yeah I was planning on going sundays! I already have this place secured. All I have to do is call them and let them know when.

Yeah I was planning on going sundays! I already have this place secured. All I have to do is call them and let them know when.

That's great. Your freshmen year seems pretty set to me. In the summer, I recommend getting some shadowing hours in and see if you can get into a research lab at your university if you can dedicate the time towards that. Best of luck.

That's great. Your freshmen year seems pretty set to me. In the summer, I recommend getting some shadowing hours in and see if you can get into a research lab at your university if you can dedicate the time towards that. Best of luck.

Yeah. I was planning on shadowing over the summer and going into research next year. Do I have that reversed? Should I be shadowing during the school year and research over summer?

Yeah. I was planning on shadowing over the summer and going into research next year. Do I have that reversed? Should I be shadowing during the school year and research over summer?

I really depends on your schedule and how you want to take care of things. I personally like shadowing in the summer because I generally have to spend the entire work day shadowing the doctor while in research I can allocate the time that I have throughout the week to total about 6-10 hours during the school year. Generally after classes on light load days, I dedicate 3 hours to research 2-3 times a week. It's all about scheduling and what fits best for you