Taking classes over again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unknown3234

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how everyone is able to take classes over. I made a c in physics I and a & p I when I wasn't sure of what I wanted to do. I took them about two years ago. I want to retake them so that I can improve my gpa but the university siad if I passed them that I can not retake them to improve my grade. So how are you guys doing it?
Thanks. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Unknown3234 said:
I was wondering how everyone is able to take classes over. I made a c in physics I and a & p I when I wasn't sure of what I wanted to do. I took them about two years ago. I want to retake them so that I can improve my gpa but the university siad if I passed them that I can not retake them to improve my grade. So how are you guys doing it?

Retake them at another school, like a community college.

I took them at the community college. And then, of course, had to send transcripts to my university, so they both know that I took the courses so I am not sure what to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also I am trying to get into florida. So c are not going to cut it, the rest of my pre-req i have b's and a's.

Take them at another community college (different from the one you had originally taken it at).

Unknown3234 said:

What do you mean the school wont let you retake it? I've never heard of a school dictating what courses a student chooses to take.

calrx said:
What do you mean the school wont let you retake it? I've never heard of a school dictating what courses a student chooses to take.

That dictate what you can take. Once you pass a class with a c or better you can not retake the class to better your grade. Because it is a state university the state pay parts of the tuition for state residents. That is why there is a difference between in state and out of state tuition. The doesn't want to pay for you to pass the class again. I am not sure exactly way but it is the student handbook so.
I talk to the university and they that I could retake the class but once you pass you can not retake it so you better make an A if that is what you want.

Thanks for the information everybody.

Hey, the same thing happened to me. I wanted to retake O. Chem II since I didn't do too well on it (6 years ago). The Student Records Office told me to fill out a "Petition to Repeat a Course Form" at my CC.

I picked up a form, filled it out and when I went back to turn it in, the secretary told me I couldn't repeat the course if I had already received a passing grade.

I didn't like that answer, so I asked to speak to a counselor. He disappeared into the back and came back and told me that (per the counselor), I could take the class but it would have to be on a pass/fail basis (not graded).

Uhmmm... no. How would the pharm schools see an improvement if they just see a "P" on my transcript.

I was adamant and requested to speak to the counselor personally. After a few minutes, the counselor finally came out and told me that I could take the class and it would be graded, but the new grade will not count towards my CC GPA. (I wonder how valid that statement was. It seems like they did not know what they were doing over there. I'll see whether it was averaged in when the grades are posted.) Good enough for me. Pharm schools calculate GPA independently anyway.

Did the C's really effect you that much?? Because if you have all A's and B's on your transcript.. I mean it doesn't seem like the death of pharmacy school to you! I have more than 2 C's on my transcript. . . I mean if you want to retake it, fine.. but seems like 2 C's aren't going to kill you! But that's my opinion!

sarahjth said:
Did the C's really effect you that much?? Because if you have all A's and B's on your transcript.. I mean it doesn't seem like the death of pharmacy school to you! I have more than 2 C's on my transcript. . . I mean if you want to retake it, fine.. but seems like 2 C's aren't going to kill you! But that's my opinion!

UF only counts the math/science GPA. There are only 11 courses so it does have a substantial affect on my GPA. Especially when there average is around a 3.5.

ICA said:
Hey, the same thing happened to me. I wanted to retake O. Chem II since I didn't do too well on it (6 years ago). The Student Records Office told me to fill out a "Petition to Repeat a Course Form" at my CC.

I picked up a form, filled it out and when I went back to turn it in, the secretary told me I couldn't repeat the course if I had already received a passing grade.

I didn't like that answer, so I asked to speak to a counselor. He disappeared into the back and came back and told me that (per the counselor), I could take the class but it would have to be on a pass/fail basis (not graded).

Uhmmm... no. How would the pharm schools see an improvement if they just see a "P" on my transcript.

I was adamant and requested to speak to the counselor personally. After a few minutes, the counselor finally came out and told me that I could take the class and it would be graded, but the new grade will not count towards my CC GPA. (I wonder how valid that statement was. It seems like they did not know what they were doing over there. I'll see whether it was averaged in when the grades are posted.) Good enough for me. Pharm schools calculate GPA independently anyway.

thats crap LoL at my cc they let u repeat it up to three times and then the highest grade counts towards your gpa. They dont go away on the transcript though but thats ok. I think you should look into the catalog and see about repeating courses...i think ur right about them :laugh:

Hi. I am getting a D in my General Chemistry class. I was thinking about taking the class again next semester for the better grade. Is there a better route I can take... so the D would never appear? It is too late to drop for my school. BTW I go to a CC. Like should I take it at a different CC... but I dopt understand how that works.

eeneich said:
Hi. I am getting a D in my General Chemistry class. I was thinking about taking the class again next semester for the better grade. Is there a better route I can take... so the D would never appear? It is too late to drop for my school. BTW I go to a CC. Like should I take it at a different CC... but I dopt understand how that works.
You should've dropped the course.

eeneich said:

yea.. you should have dropped the course. but if you got a D in general chem, how are you gonna survive in organi chem? :confused: you might want to reconsider pharmacy... OR you need study super hard for ochem cuz that is a weeder course for pharm school... gluck :)

eeneich said:

Advice: Retake the course!!! Also, consider obtaining a tutor because it is true your chemistry classes from this point on will be a challenge. Remember to also look at what caused you to achieve an D in the class..so next time this wont happen :)

eeneich said:

If you study your ass off and do really well on the final is it possible that you could pull a C-/C in the class? Even a C- would look a million times better than a D!

Unknown3234 said:
Hey,

I dont think that you need to reconsider pharmacy however, everyone is right when they say things only get harder. It sounds like you just need to get focused. I know that was my problem, i wasnt focused. So just study and if you get a D then just learn from it and study harder next time. Most of the CC have something where you can retake it. Look it up in your schools catalog. Every school i went to I studied the catalog before school started. Its a good thing to know :) Also even if you can retake it they usually wont take it off your transcript, while the higher grade may count on your gpa, they can still look at your transcript and see it. So keep that in mind :) GOOD LUCK

eeneich said:

Don't reconsider pharmacy at all. I don't know your situation, but everyone has taken a class and not done so well for various reasons. You'll survive! I struggled to got a C in general chemistry 3, however I got A/B in organic. General was way harder for me than organic. I actually really enjoyed organic. In my experience, chemistry gets easier as you go, not harder. My first chemistry class was like a new language, where organic was much easier, and biochemistry was cake! Anyways, you'll be fine! Just retake the class if that's an option. You'll only learn more! Best of luck :)