Taking Classes over the Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to take couple of classes over the summer. I am planning on taking my second english class and Calculus.
Will it be looked down upon if I take these credits from a community college?
See, I tested into the highest level Calculus offered at my university, but I could not fit it into my schedule this year or first semester next year. I just thought that I could get the credits over the summer, and then I can work on the rest of the credits required for my B.S. The reason I am not taking the credits at the university is because I am going to go home for the summer, and it would not be realistic to drive to and from the university due to the distance..
I do not want to take Calculus at a community college it will be looked at negatively. I was hoping that my high test scores would indicate that I could handle Calculus on the university level, and I was not trying to take an easier route.
All of the rest of my credits will be from the university, and these credits will just transfer.

What would you do in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure entirely, I just know here is what I encountered from my own experience.

This is what it says on USC's website, I took calculus at my university but I found this while I was looking up course equivalencies for english.

FOR UC-Davis

"Calculus Math 16A or 17A or 21A, Math 16B or 17B or 21B (comm. College equivalence of 16AB are not acceptable)"

Also it says.. on the main page of admissions pre-reqs

"Only courses for science majors are accepted. It is highly recommended that math and science courses be completed during the regular academic year and not during a summer term"

I wouldn't pay TOO much attention to this second quote though because I took organic chem and physics over the summer and was still accepted to schools, I took it at a University though, not sure if that makes a difference.

I took calculus at a community college last summer and I got accepted into pharmacy school. I think as long as you aren't taking like every class that you can through a community college, you'll be okay. It also helps if you get As in the cc courses. Though schools would rather you take most of your sciences at a university, a cc is still fine for a few. Plus, there's a decent amount of people that take all of their pre-reqs at a cc and get accepted into pharmacy school. I wouldn't worry too much about it.