Taking courses Pass/Fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the duck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do medical schools view courses taken pass/fail. I'm not doing so hot in my ASL class at the moment, and I'm thinking of switching from letter grade to pass/fail. It would be the only course I'll be taking pass/fail.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally a couple of P/F classes are alright. You wouldn't want to do that for your core classes like bio, chem, orgo, etc but if you're having trouble in like econ or an upper level bio class it should be fine as long as there's not too much P/F classes.

Yeah don't do it too much and avoid doing it for science classes. I pass/failed my spanish class semester because I was taking three intense upper level science classes and didn't have time to learn a new language

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally a couple of P/F classes are alright. You wouldn't want to do that for your core classes like bio, chem, orgo, etc but if you're having trouble in like econ or an upper level bio class it should be fine as long as there's not too much P/F classes.

Its a language class, which should be pretty easy, but I'm just horrible at languages. I guess I'm worried that they'll assume that I would have gotten a C if all adcoms see is a Pass, and view the class accordingly.

Its a language class, which should be pretty easy, but I'm just horrible at languages. I guess I'm worried that they'll assume that I would have gotten a C if all adcoms see is a Pass, and view the class accordingly.

language class? take it pass/fail. no one should care.

Sorry for the 3 month bump.. but,

My school lets us do a pass/fail for up to two classes after we have taken them..anyways, I'm thinking of doing p/f for two classes that I got a B/B+ in. Nothing pertaining to science, just general requirement classes. No biggie I assume?

You get to switch to pass/fail after the fact? Lucky! Its no biggie. But question, can you switch to pass fail at a later date, or do you need to do it right after the grade comes out? It seems likely you'll get 2 grades that are worse than a B+ in your life...