Taking DAT in August...is that bad??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saycheez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm taking the DAT in August and I'm worried about that being too late. I plan on submitting my AADSAS application right away, as I already have everything ready for it, minus my DAT scores. I'm taking it later for a couple of reasons: 1) I'm getting my Masters and I have a little break in August, 2) I'm taking a Kaplan review course that goes until the end of July.

So should I do some re-figuring and try to get the DAT done earlier, or will August be okay, since I'll have everything else completed early June on my AADSAS application???

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the DAT Aug 3rd and submitted my AADSAS on Aug 8th. Applied to 11 schools and received 8 interviews so it is definitely no too late and not early, about right on time.

You should be fine as long as your ready. Don't take the test until you are scoring what you want to on the practice tests. A great score late is better then a bad score early, especially when you get into August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took my DAT august 23 and got in

definitely not late

but... If i would do this again

I would take DAT earlier even if I get lower score

If you can prepare yourself for a couple of months I would take DAT in earlier date

because i have not heard anything from half the school i applied

I took my DAT on August 29th and got in....
But if I had to do it all over again I would definitely take it earlier, even if it's a lower score there is scope of taking it again.
Good luck!

is it true that you can submit one dat score right at the start of the application in early june and then take it again, and update aadsaas with the new score?

will the dental school consider both scores, or only the first you submitted

took dat on september 1st. although i submitted my aadsas application around mid august.

wasn't late. im glad i took my time and didn't rush into it.

took dat on september 1st. although i submitted my aadsas application around mid august.

wasn't late. im glad i took my time and didn't rush into it.

but how did you fare? did you get in?

Last edited:
is it true that you can submit one dat score right at the start of the application in early june and then take it again, and update aadsaas with the new score?

will the dental school consider both scores, or only the first you submitted

It's my understanding that when an applicant has taken the DAT twice, the score that is considered depends entirely on the school. Some will take the higher score, some will take the more recent score.

As for the original question, I'm in the same situation. I've contacted one dschool about it, and they told me Aug 3rd should be fine, as long as I submit everything else ASAP beforehand. They suggested I fax the unofficial copy to my schools the day I take the DAT; some may consider you for an interview with this, some may wait until the official scores come in. Good luck studying!